Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
cs4 and raw PEF files

I use CS4 and just shot a wedding in PEF raw and can't open my files in PS! I went to the adobe site and K5 is listed on there for the DNG conversion however all of my upgrades in PS are up to date and it still doesn't work. Anybody else have the same problems and maybe found a solution?
I'll change to DNG going forward but I need to edit by 400+ images from this wedding asap. Please help.

error message when trying to open file in PS using 'open as' and then selecting 'raw' is:
Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file.

08-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by citrus sky Quote
I use CS4 and just shot a wedding in PEF raw and can't open my files in PS! I went to the adobe site and K5 is listed on there for the DNG conversion however all of my upgrades in PS are up to date and it still doesn't work. Anybody else have the same problems and maybe found a solution?
I'll change to DNG going forward but I need to edit by 400+ images from this wedding asap. Please help.

error message when trying to open file in PS using 'open as' and then selecting 'raw' is:
Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file.
Download the free DNG converter and convert the PEFs to DNG. I think you need to be on CS5/ACR6 to open PEFS.

Al
08-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Banned

When you run a 64 bit system then you can not use PEF. At least that is what I'm reading on Pentax Germany side. Time to go to DNG in future.

RAW codecs for 32-bit: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/software/PENTAX_Raw_Codec.exe
08-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need CS5 to be able to read PEF from a K5. I had the same with my K-7, PEF doesn't open in CS3 (which I use). Like Ron said, use DNG, and you will have no problems anymore. (Adobe does not suport raw codecs downwards, so any new pentax files will not be suported by an oldel CS version, even if you have the raw codecs up to date, I know it sucks)

08-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. I guess my choice at this point is to upgrade to CS5 or buy lightroom3. Does ayone have any advice or preference between photoshop and lightroom? Seems the more people I speak to, they are using lightroom however I've never used it. If I buy it, is it easy to learn through use/manuals?
08-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you. I guess my choice at this point is to upgrade to CS5 or buy lightroom3. Does ayone have any advice or preference between photoshop and lightroom? Seems the more people I speak to, they are using lightroom however I've never used it. If I buy it, is it easy to learn through use/manuals?
Download a try out first and see if you like it. Convert your PEFs to DNG in the meantime with the free converter to get you going.

Greetings
08-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
When you run a 64 bit system then you can not use PEF. At least that is what I'm reading on Pentax Germany side. Time to go to DNG in future.

RAW codecs for 32-bit: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/software/PENTAX_Raw_Codec.exe
.....and it's bullshit.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit running CS5, 64bit. PEFs work fine from all of my cameras up to and including, the K5.

What is Not supported is full size viewing of a PEF from the K5 in windows Explorer. Thumbnails only from that camera in that application.

CS4 does not support the K5 PEF files.

08-22-2011, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

In fact you have free choice:
get Adobe DNG converter and convert your PEF files to DNG. your current Photoshop will handle them.

And for the future, change K-5 RAW format from PEF to DNG, so you won't need to convert PEF to DNG.
08-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

that's for displaying PEFs in Windows Explorer, etc.

Adobe uses their own RAW conversion engine (Camera RAW), it does not depend on codecs from Microsoft.
08-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Or set your camera to shoot DNG rather than PEF.

BTW Microsoft have provided what Pentax should have and didn't for W7x64 and Vistax64 users:

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Camera Codec Pack
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone.
Adobe DNG converter does not work for K5 in CS4. I took Schraubstock's advice and downloaded Photoshop CS5 as a 30-day free trial and am slowly going through pictures that I can now open! yay! and at the same time converting to DNG (at least the ones I want to keep). AND, I have changed my camera setting to shoot in DNG. I am using W7 Pro 64bit.

JeffJS, how do you view the raw files as thumbnails in explorer? I take alot of photos and sometimes take RAW+ just so I can preview the jpegs in explorer but it takes up alot of SD card space so this would fix that.

Does anyone use lightroom? pros/cons over using PS5?
08-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

how do you view the raw files as thumbnails in explorer?
<snip>
See the link in my post just above for viewing RAW in explorer.

Lightroom and CS5 are aimed at slightly different things. Google Lightroom vs Photoshop to find lots of articles discussing the difference.
08-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you everyone.
Adobe DNG converter does not work for K5 in CS4.
You need to download the latest FREE Adobe DNG converter. It does support the K5

Adobe DNG Converter 6.4

Al
08-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you everyone.

You can do everything that Lightroom does with CS5/Bridge, you can do about 10% of what CS5/Bridge does with Lightroom.
I use both, Lightroom for importing, and I use it for web galleries, but I do image editing in Photoshop.
08-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Thank you everyone.

JeffJS, how do you view the raw files as thumbnails in explorer? I take alot of photos and sometimes take RAW+ just so I can preview the jpegs in explorer but it takes up alot of SD card space so this would fix that.

It is probably the little 'side car' files that show in explorer. However, if I try to View the PEFs, I get an error message that the file is broken somehow (paraphrasing). A browser that works however, is FastStone image viewer if you want to be able to look at the RAW PEFs full sized. I think IRFranview will also do it as well as a couple other freebies out there. I use RAW+ for the same reason, so I have a JPG to see what is there.

I never really warmed up to Lightroom. A lot of things I do require layering which, to the best of my knowledge, Lightroom does not do. It is a good piece of software but I've always considered it more for cataloging than post processing (which it does both quite well IIRC). I just never really got use to the user interface of LR and have been using PS since version 4 (not CS4).