Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's going on with Pentax?

Now that I ordered my K5, I'm realizing that a rather large group of people on other forms are complaining about this mirror flop thing. How wide spread is this. Seems like lately it's always something with Pentax. I'm wondering if I should cancel my order right now?

08-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't had any incident with this at all. If the problem really is connected to overcharged batteries I wouldn't probably see it as I rotate my batteries so whatever goes into the camera has been in my camera bag for days, possibly weeks. If there's some other reason for causing cameras to do this, it doesn't affect mine.
08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But think this way...people have their camera allright would not post a thread say hey, my camera works allright, no problem....that is kind silly....right?

so I do not know how large is the group of people that have problem with the camera...

maybe that is a tiny amount compare to people have their camera allright...
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a chap who bought a new Ford; when he took it in for its first service, he had a list of 32 items to be attended to under warranty.
Would you now buy a Ford?
Yes there have been a few issues with the K5, just like with every other camera and with most technological consumer items. That's why we make sure we get a warranty.
But the vast majority of K5 users seem to be very happy with the camera and recommend it to others.
You will even find threads here started by Nikon and Canon (ex-) users who have swapped to the K5 without regret.

08-26-2011, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Now that I ordered my K5, I'm realizing that a rather large group of people on other forms are complaining about this mirror flop thing. How wide spread is this. Seems like lately it's always something with Pentax. I'm wondering if I should cancel my order right now?
With so many thread you make about this purchase, I assume you already well informed. Just lay back and relax.. have fun with it and don't forget to buy extended warranty and keep the warranty card in a safe place. After all, it's only a $1300 gear

Bad Joke , The situation is if you are now camera-less and If you're looking for a superb high iso performance and wider DR you make an excellent choice. Don't worry too much, it's a damn fine camera.. just make sure they give you the latest production -just in case-
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They are talking about it over there? It isn't me as I haven't posted there in a long time, but I do have the issue. I'm hopefully it will be resolved soon as I just sent it in today for a second round of service.

A what-if-just-maybe-it-could-happen-to-me attitude will make you miss out on a powerful camera. I don't think the chance of having any type of issue is a reason to cancel a purchase of something that can be a good tool for your photography. I'd say you are much more likely to accidentally drop the camera than to have a manufacturing defect.
08-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have or have had a couple of K5s and 3 K7s, 3 K20ds and have yet to see any of the issues people talk about. I'm sure there are issues but I suspect they are the same or less than the rate for Cannon or Nikon.

08-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

At any rate, they now have a name for the issue and are promptly turning around affected units (at this point in time it would seem).

Refer to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1625084-post220.html and other posts in that thread.

Regardless of how wide spread the issue is or isn't, given there is now a 'standard repair' it would indicate that whatever borderline components that where involved have been fixed and the fix would most likely have been incorporated back into production process for any current 'in-build' units.

Much like the "String of Pearls" problem - I think its a dead issue now moving forward that will decrease in occurrence over the next few months... And no worse of an issue than other problems plaguing other similar generation DSLRs out there (the D7000 springs to mind...) so certainly doesn't subtract from Pentax as a Marque in my mind...
08-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I was one of those with a mirror flopping cam, took it back, got fixed (12 days) and now all is well. As I understand it there was a small amount of faulty Mainboards with faulty components to blame. Most likely a parts supplier to Pentax who screwed up. Can happen to any electronic gear. Go and buy the cam she's a ripper.

Greetings
08-27-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just know that your camera is covered under warranty for the next year. If there are problems (whatever they are) get it fixed. With any electronic device there is a possibility of problem and folks that have problems are bound to be louder than those who don't have them.
08-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem is I'm leaving on a two week trip to Italy in November. With the excessively long repair times, I may be leaving without a camera! That would suck!
08-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no issues with my K-5. Works great! I have a K-20D and had the K-200D and K-110D and never had any issues with quality control.
08-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem is I'm leaving on a two week trip to Italy in November. With the excessively long repair times, I may be leaving without a camera! That would suck!
Should not matter because it does not effect picture taking. My camera started mirror flopping while I was in New York some 4 weeks ago. It was coming and going a bit but the cam still took perfect pictures. Just a small amount of cams were effected, they should be all sorted out by now.

Stop worrying. Look at it this way, you yourself could also develop a fault while away from home - like a bad tooth ache , right?

Greetings
08-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine froze a couple times one weekend, removing the battery fixed it each time. After the last recharge, no freezes. I haven't had any other issues with the camera before or since.
08-29-2011, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

People who have broken cameras tend to get onto photo forums because they feel the need to tell their own personal story of woe. People who don't have broken cameras feel no such compulsion, since they have no sadness to share.
Consequently, photo forums tend to be filled by people who have camera problems.
This makes it look a lot worse than it is, since most of the posts are about camera problems.
Meanwhile the 97% or more of people who don't have camera problems happily go about their days, taking wonderful pictures of furry kittens and cute puppies cavorting on verdant lawns beside beautiful flower beds.
And some people read the forums because they enjoy a good train wreck.