Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 Settings

Getting my new K5 this week, and I was just wondering if you guys just leave highlight, and shadows turned on? Also, are there anyother settings you suggest to get up and running? Are the images as soft coming right from the camera as the K7's? Thanks.

08-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't, as I prefer to make those fixes in PP or via a RAW processor.

Check out our k-5 review on the homepage for a few recommended settings!
08-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I leave it on, for general purposes photography. Just 'cause I'm lazy.
(of course, this is the reason why I also shoot Jpeg. I know, disgusting...)

Octav
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Fix any issues in PP and leave settings on default. I always shoot RAW that helps a lot in Post Processing.

08-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for "serious" shooting RAW and then you don't care about settings like these. When IQ isn't critical, then I do use shadow and mainly highlight correction in Jpg to make use a bit of the great DR the camera has.
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I tested and found that not only do the shadow/highlight settings help, but there is visibly less noise when using the settings on. I only tested only ISOs 400 and 800. Here is where the techies can jump in but I am guessing the better noise comes from the way the camera pushes a lower ISO. So, better dynamic range and less noise. What I have not noticed is any drawbacks but assume there are some.
08-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Highlight and perhaps shadow correction are good for high-contrast situations and low iso, typically sunlit scenes. The downsides are noise, but it's only visible at higher ISOs like 1600. I turn them off again in low light and high ISO.

I also use the lens distortion correction when I use the kit lens indoors. It has significant barrel distortion at the wide end and it's very obvious in some interior shots where straight lines fall near the image edges.

Sincerely,
--Anders.

08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

If yuo turn on highlight correction, you will find the ISO limited to 160 minimum setting. I use shaddow correction but no highlight correction for this reason. Bur I mostly shoot RAW and play with it later. Very happy with my K5.
08-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW is the way to go - full control over your PP process awaits you.
The results aren't 'soft' coming straight out of the box, but most images benefit significantly from a pass of sharpening in PP.
08-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

After having experimented with a lot of different settings, I've ended up turning all the correctional stuff off. If nothing else having them on slows down the camera, especially picture reviewing. And I found it time consuming to change the settings according to the shooting conditions. I prefer to trade more time spent post processing for less time waiting for the camera. And I'm not even sure if the in-camera adjustments would reduce the need for PPing at all, really.

But there's only one way to find out what suits you, and that's by trial (and potentially error )
08-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
GSk
Inactive Account

I also prefer shooting RAW and do post production in a raw converter.

I had K-7 before K-5, and in my opinion images from K-5 are sharper than from the K-7 coming right from the camera. My K-5 images are as a whole much better in terms of IQ right from the camera than the K-7 images were.
08-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Forum Member

The K5 is a low-light wonder, and the only way to really take advantage of this fact is to shoot in RAW and tinker with luminance in Photoshop or Lightroom (or the like).
08-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I shoot RAW+....the Jpegs appear very good in most instances, the RAW let me correct defects in exposure and WB if the Jpeg missed the mark.
Works for me.
Regards!
08-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the 'raw guys'. I'm hard corp for the RAW, and no professional shooter, but I use photoshop elements and use the DNG version of RAW.
It is ever so much easier to fix a bunch of things with the RAW mode..... While the K5 gets it right far more often than my K10D did the tweeks that are needed work more easily when applied to the RAW.....
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It may take a little while to adjust the settings if you use Jpegs....the K5 is quite different than my K20D, and after several months, I think I have finally found the settings I prefer best, but it did take some effort.
Raw images from the K5 process with greater ease by far than those from my K20D. The K5 is a fun camera to use, and processing is a fun part of using it for me.
Regards!