Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Don't know what to do....

I just phoned Pentax to ask them about the two problems that worry the most about buying the K5, The sensor stains, and mirror flop. They were very reluctant to tell me much about either issue. They did tell my that they were still getting returns for the stain issue on a few new cameras. I thought this was all cleared up? What puts me into a real corner here, is I'm leaving for Italy, and Paris in mid November, and won't have time to get either issue addressed. So I asked Pentax if this mirror flop issue did appear, could I send the camera back to Pentax for a new body given my situation. Answer... No. This puts me in a very tough position, because going to Italy without a camera would be kinda stupid. So let me ask this. Would this just be an annoyance while shooting, or would this make shooting so difficult that I wouldn't really be able to use the camera? If so I will probably send it back and switch to the Nikon D7000. What do you think? It's really bad timing for Pentax to have yet another issue.

08-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the stain situation is not a very big issue, you can correct it in post processing and will only show if using F16 and above. As for the mirror issue, I think it has only effected a small percentage of K5's.
08-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the stain issue., keep in mind that some stores maybe still selling old stock. I suggest if purchasing to get a camera with a newer serial number.
08-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You won't be affected by the stain issue as it's pretty much a thing of the past, but if you want to be sure, simply buy from a reputable dealer.

As mentioned above, the mirror flop issue is on a much smaller scale and chances are you won't ever see it. However, all Pentax cameras come with a 1-year warranty, so worst-case, you can always get it fixed. If you purchase a third-party extended warranty, they will probably replace your camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you're making a pretty big deal about this. The odds of this happening to you are VERY slim. Either way, with both these problems, if they do happen, they won't stop you from being able to take pictures.
08-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I don't know about the flopping mirror but with the stains, it takes Time for them to appear. My first K5 was clean until I had taken 3200 shots and I had been using Live View A LOT (which is what is believed to burn the stains into the filter making them visible in my case). In other words, even if the new camera is stained, it doesn't become apparent until enough heat has hit it to bake them in. The cameras that are still being returned for that may still be old stock, OR, they just hadn't been used enough for the stains to appear until now. On a new camera, I would really consider this a non issue. I haven't followed the flopping mirror threads because it hasn't happened to me, in 8000+ shots.

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
08-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K5 was ordered from B/H Photo, and should be here in 3 days. I also purchased the two year extended warranty for $19.95.

08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

Hey man,
Got mine on Friday night, and (coming from the d5100) I love this thing. Other than a few annoyances (of my own accord) I still fell very confident that I've made the right choice. I'd narrowed it down to the d7000 and 60D. But if you're concerned about sensor issues, the nikon has its own set of issues (a blotching on the upper corner) and the canon had its fair bag of snags too. For me, the difference came down to Pentax's handling of the issues. First acknowledgement, then fixing. After an exhaustive search through this and dpreview, I saw that for the most part people were satisfied with how Pentax handled everything. That's what swayed me. Good luck either way!
08-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Bottom line.......Through all the good, bad, and ugly there eventually evolves the truth. You can find it here if you just look around a little. The truth is that the K5 is no doubt the most loved DSLR Pentax has ever made. It is a Game Changing winner, and nothing else comes close to it at anywhere near the price. Even those with some problems still want it...because it is that good, no kidding.

Your odds of having a problem are tiny, very tiny. Your odds of missing out on a great camera for your trip if you skip the K5 are enormous.......sure, the D700 or D3X will certainly equal it, and if you can bring along a good forklift to carry them, you will still be just as happy....maybe?

This is not rocket science, the K5 is a superb camera, it is well documented here by the many, many satisfied users, by independent tests all over the internet, and by you when you get one. Life is short, get a K5 and enjoy more of it!

Regards!
08-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would like to write about my extremely pleasant experience with the K-5 so far. But I won't.
I'll just show you this pic I took yesterday. Straight jpeg, just a crop (lens is not long enough).

quit worrying. Leaving your house puts your life at risk.
Octav
08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
or would this make shooting so difficult that I wouldn't really be able to use the camera?
I answer it again and I speak from experience because my cam had the flops; It will not stop you taking pictures!
Stop being paranoid about it there is more to live than constantly worrying about something that may or may not be happening. Enjoy your trip and show us some of the pics when you get back.

Greetings
08-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I answer it again and I speak from experience because my cam had the flops; It will not stop you taking pictures!
Stop being paranoid about it there is more to live than constantly worrying about something that may or may not be happening. Enjoy your trip and show us some of the pics when you get back.

Greetings
I will. It should be here Thursday from B/H. Sold my K7 on eBay for $730.00. looking forward to the low noise, and Improved dynamic range.
08-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Regarding the stain issue., keep in mind that some stores maybe still selling old stock. I suggest if purchasing to get a camera with a newer serial number.
These 2 problems have been bothering me from buying k5.
what's the new serial number up to?
Anyone?
08-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Too weird...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on dPreview you said that you were going to return the K-5 as soon as it arrived, dump all of your Pentax gear, and move on to play in Nikon-land...

So... whazzzup with all of that?
Cross forum posting troll. The funny thing is, he'll probably end up with a faulty Nikon.
08-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis...he's sympathetic to those with real problems, but he has little use for a Troll....says being a Troll can bring seven+ years of very bad luck......worse than breaking a mirror.
He is going to look in on this........not good news for someone?
[IMG] [/IMG]

It's not too late to repent......but I would do it quickly!
Regards!