Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
cold white balance in K-5

Hi,

I upgraded from a K10d to a K-5. Dynamic range, high iso etc. is as promised, great. No sensor stains
Compared to the K10d, the images are a bit cold to my taste when I use auto WB. So I made a few pictures of a Color Checker under various lighting conditions and indeed, the grey patches are blueish. I usually take the camera WB as a start in RAW processing and the K10d images have correct color then in many cases. The K-5 images all need correction from the camera WB setting.
Anyone else with similar experiences? I can try to fine tune the WB in the camera menu of course, but I´m a bit surprised. I own an Optio S5i P&S as well which also has excellent WB. What´s happening with the K-5?

08-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will have to play with the K5 to get what suits your eye. There are many options and it may take a while....or shoot Raw and don't worry about it. I finally got the Jpegs like I prefer, but it took me a while. Shooting Raw+ let's me decide if the Jpeg is OK or if I need to process a Raw file.
Regards!
08-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D is definitely warmer in rendition than the K-5 in AWB, but you can fine tune the AWB to your liking to give a warmer 'bias' of sorts for all your shots in AWB. I myself have done this by a slight bias towards the yellow and green.
08-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K10D uses a CCD sensor compared to the K-5's CMOS sensor.
Your frame of reference is based on the overly warm rendition of the K10D.
The K-5's WB is a lot more accurate, particularly in incandescent lighting.
Get used to it.

08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

I found that the AWB on my K10D jumped around too much even on consecutive shots of the same scene. So I started setting a fixed WB based on the current lighting conditions. I got burned a few times when I forgot to change the WB but my images from a shooting session were consistently the same. I carried that over to the K5 out of habit. Except for when I left it set on the wrong WB, PP corrections are much simpler.
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reactions. I'll do some experiments to change the AWB. Although I only shoot RAW, I prefer to have the in-camera wb correct. My experiences with the K10d are usually positive: I like the camera wb better than the "automatic" wb from most raw-converters.
I do not only dislike the AWB of my K-5, but it is simply wrong in my opinion, as images of test charts show. I have too little experience yet with the other wb settings, like incandescent, or the consistency since I own the camera only a short time. So: time to investigate, something to look forward to!