Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #151
Riv

Photos: Albums
That's the price I just ordered mine for ($879), should get it friday. Now I just gotta pack up this great little K30 and send it back. Poor little guy looks so sad

Adam, I'll send you a PM tomorrow night (it should be) to be sure the click-through went ok.

08-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #152
Forum Member

I'm getting nervous, I have $250 in amazon gift cards and I see the K5 on there selling through Beach Camera and other companies fulfilled through Amazon. Is it in the realm of possibility these cameras are grey market? Also do you guys think we are soon to see it sell out on Amazon?
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #153
Riv

If I remember, all this happen to the K7 just before the K5 was announced. The K7 didn't sell out, but if I recall correctly the price did go back up a little after (worldwide?) inventory of the K7 dropped. I brought the K7 before the rebound, just like now is when I'm upgrading to the K5.

Is there a grey market for Pentax? I thought any Pentax bought anywhere could be serviced worldwide, or did that change when Hoya got involded?
I see that's changed.

Last edited by Riv; 08-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 for $799 at Frys

FRYS.com

08-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #155
Inactive Account

799!! wow.....im tempted to get another k5 as my second body.......
08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #156
Riv

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Pentax K-5 for $799 at Frys

FRYS.com

Small print say's some demo, some open box. I wonder if that means none are new
08-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #157
Veteran Member

I've 'never' seen anything but the K-x, K-r and Q at Frys myself.

08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #158

Photos: Gallery
I watched the rapid price drop and "sold out of the K-5 with kit lens" from B & H Photo so the writing was on the wall. Pentax was going to discontinue the K-5. I have wanted a K-5 since it came out. I have a K-7 which is fine, but I was after the higher ISO quality that the K-5 offered. So I decided it was time and purchased from B&H about a month ago. When the price a B&H went down $30 I called B&H and they credited back the $30 (very reputable company).

I don't understand the marketing strategy from Pentax unless they are going to come out with a full frame camera in the near future because the K-30 is not an upgrade. That would mean all the DA lenses designed for the smaller sensor will be outdated if you decide to go FF. Ever since Richoh has purchased the company, their new cameras have been poorly designed for a market that doesn't exist. Are they trying to run Pentax into the ground?
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote
I watched the rapid price drop and "sold out of the K-5 with kit lens" from B & H Photo so the writing was on the wall. Pentax was going to discontinue the K-5. I have wanted a K-5 since it came out. I have a K-7 which is fine, but I was after the higher ISO quality that the K-5 offered. So I decided it was time and purchased from B&H about a month ago. When the price a B&H went down $30 I called B&H and they credited back the $30 (very reputable company).

I don't understand the marketing strategy from Pentax unless they are going to come out with a full frame camera in the near future because the K-30 is not an upgrade. That would mean all the DA lenses designed for the smaller sensor will be outdated if you decide to go FF. Ever since Richoh has purchased the company, their new cameras have been poorly designed for a market that doesn't exist. Are they trying to run Pentax into the ground?
I think there is no doubt, but that Pentax will come out with a K5 replacement. Probably will have a 24 megapixel sensor and updated auto focus -- probably (hopefully) more than 11 auto focus points. Ricoh has clearly decided that they want clear out basically all K5 stock ahead of this announcement so that they are not selling the new camera against old K5 stock.

The other question is unknown, that is, is there going to be a full frame K mount camera and if so when will it be released. Certainly if there was one, it would be above the K5 level and would be priced accordingly (release price of 2500 dollars as compared to 1500 dollars).
08-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love Pentax K5

I am crossing over to Canon EOS 5D Mark II and found that it is a great camera. However, Pentax K5 is superior in every aspect of it, except of course that Mark II is FF. The high iso, the high fps, and the stealth shutter made the K5 the best camera so far. To the point that I will continue with the Canon, the lenses are absolutely great quality, and the CANON AF is second to none. but I will keep my K5. That being said, I miss my 1.5 crop for wildlife shooting. I may end up buying a Canon 7D for that purpose.

QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote

08-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #161

Pepe,

Concerning your remarks about the 5D Mark II vs. the K5, I have heard this a lot. It seems those who use the Canon do so because of 1)the canon lens selection 2) the full frame and 3) the superior Auto Focus.

However, auto focus aside, do you think the K5 advantages out weigh the 5D Mark II ???

The crop factor of the K5 with a DA* 60-250 puts you at 375mm with a FF sensor and the 60-250 is an incredible lens. Is there something about the Pentax 60-250 that does not work for you?

I am somewhat perplexed how it is so many Canon users praise the K5 but stick with Canon. I guess I am looking for clarity on this.
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
Pepe,

Concerning your remarks about the 5D Mark II vs. the K5, I have heard this a lot. It seems those who use the Canon do so because of 1)the canon lens selection 2) the full frame and 3) the superior Auto Focus.

However, auto focus aside, do you think the K5 advantages out weigh the 5D Mark II ???

The crop factor of the K5 with a DA* 60-250 puts you at 375mm with a FF sensor and the 60-250 is an incredible lens. Is there something about the Pentax 60-250 that does not work for you?

I am somewhat perplexed how it is so many Canon users praise the K5 but stick with Canon. I guess I am looking for clarity on this.

Not considering the FF vs crop, I believe the K5 is a good match to the new 5D Mark III. At least in ISO, the K5 is better. That being said, the K5 is much better than the "old" 5D Mark II. THe K5 has 3 times the fps than the Mark II, the ISO is way much better in the K5. I decided to keep the K5 for my long lenses. I do not want to lose too much money selling them. My primary objective getting the Mark II was to have a FF to use with my Super Takumar lenses. They work just wonderful. No need for AF, there.
I could not avoid buying a Sigma EX 100-300 f4 that works great with the Mark II (the only set back, is: no crop factor).
08-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #163
Forum Member

I just picked up a K-5 on Craigslist. Excited!

Last edited by ploetzlich; 02-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.
08-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ploetzlich Quote
The only thing wrong with it was the rear e-dial doesn't work in 1 out of 10-20 clicks.
There is a suggestion that spraying contact cleaner into the wheel will fix the problems. I believe there is a specific type you need to use to avoid residue. Great deal
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/145847-k-r-e-dial-repair.html
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #165
Forum Member

That's awesome. I can live with it for now, but I will certainly try spraying contact cleaner some time soon.