Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got my K5 back, great warranty service!

Okay I'll eat some crow, just not a lot of it. You may recall a month ago I posted that my K5 had fallen to pieces. Well based on the following discussion the consensus was that the camera was not at fault, but rather the lens, a DA*16-50 f2.8. After I sent my camera to CRIS, indeed they called me and informed me that the pieces were shims and not from the camera, but the lens. They warned me that if the shims had fallen out, the lens could get stuck on my back up camera. I told them the lens was only a month old, and that I would send it to them for a warranty repair right away. Thier ETA was 3-4 weeks. Sure enough I got both back in 3 weeks. I was able to track the repair, and they responded to my inqueries in a prompt and professional manner. I even spoke to the repair technician, Mike. The official repair was described as this:K5- repaired main PCB, cleaned and checked firmware and checked to manufacturer specifications. Lens- re-seated missing shims, resealed loose screws and tighened mount cleaned and checked to manufacturers specifications. Although my inital assumption was that the camera had failed, it was the lens that fell to pieces. How it damaged the main PCB is beyond me. I'm just happy that they were both under warranty, I got it back in a timely manner, and that I had a back- up camera (K200D which I still love) with me when they broke. So I'll retract the statement that the K5 fell to pieces, and re-assert the lens did. So, I'll only eat a little crow. I've heard it tastes like chicken.

09-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got that sorted out. It could be that when they were testing the camera, it failed a test involving the PCB. It wouldn't necessarily be related to the lens issue. I'm just speculating though.
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good for you! I had a fellow Pentaxian who has to wait for 2 month for servicing his K-x. Local dealer sent it all the way back to..Japan!

We it got back, it was with all new innards
09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great new. In that case, going back and amending your original post would be helpful to people reading it later on down the line.

09-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Great new. In that case, going back and amending your original post would be helpful to people reading it later on down the line.
I would but the mods closed the thread, thats why I started a new one. Too much flaming going on, I guess.
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still don't understand how those shims, All of them, made it out of the lens and into the mirror box but, Ok, glad it's all put back together for you. I guess at this point, that's all that matters. Show us some cool photos from the combo.

09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news, and good to hear a positive story like this once in a while.

09-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here you go:
Attached Images

09-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Here you go:
LOL
Mmm. It really does taste like chicken.
09-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wish I could say the same thing about my K-7 repair, but I can't (at least not yet).

Here's the output of "Repair Status Detail" of my K-7:

Status - Date
Received 8/10/2011
In Repair 8/11/2011
Parts Hold 8/30/2011
In Repair 9/1/2011

So it spent 20 days, from 8/11 to 8/30 waiting for parts. Worse yet, during that time, the "Repair Status Detail" was like this:

Status - Date
Received 8/10/2011
In Repair 8/11/2011
Parts Hold
In Repair

with nothing about its waiting for parts!

And now, there's nothing about when the repair is supposed to be done.
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I still don't understand how those shims, All of them, made it out of the lens and into the mirror box but, Ok, glad it's all put back together for you. I guess at this point, that's all that matters.
I was taking it in and out of my bag repeatedly that day, but I can't figure out how they all fell out all at once, then into and behind the mirror without me noticing. I didn't have a clue even looking through the view finder unitl the camera quit.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Show us some cool photos from the combo.
Sure, these were from my trip, before the camera broke.

Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone

Oxbow Bend, Grand Tetons

Wyoming Night, Milky Way

Lady Bird Falls, Glacier NP
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Wyoming Night, Milky Way
I have GOT to get away from the populated areas and do some of these. I need a BB gun so I can at least take out all the porch lights across the street and that damn street light on the next block.

Nicely done!

09-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #13

Very nice shots.. I love the Lake shot and the falls.. Good Job!!
09-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think we had all figured out it was not the K5 at fault, but the lens, so it is no surprise. Still....Otis thinks we should hang you or burn you at the stake for your initial mistake......I just don't know what is wrong with Otis lately, he has been so erratic. Maybe it is all the heat....months and months of 100F+ days and nights not much better.

Anyhow, it is good that you are back in business and able to shoot again, those are some nice shots you posted. Otis did like the water shots, he had forgotten what water looked like, nothing but parched land around here.
Regards!
09-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hello all:

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.

I sent my Pentax K-x and lens in for repair in July 2011; both are under warrenty. Both were received on 7-20-2011. On 8-18-11, both were placed on "Parts Hold," then both were sent back to Repair on 8-23-11. On 9-1-11, both were placed again on "Parts Hold."

I have been in constant contact with a supervisor with regard to the ETA of my repair. On 9-2-11, I was informed that Pentax would repair the lens and would send a new K-x, as they recognize the inconvenience and ridiculousness of the repair time, with 2 separate "parts holds." On 9-8-11, I spoke with customer service and was informed that they had no "notes" indicating the above. Afterwards, I both called and emailed the supervisor, requesting a definite ETA; he responded, saying he has been "... in constant contact with the repair site and warehouse working on an expedited resolve on returning your repaired lens and a possible replacement camera to you."

At this point, my patience with Pentax is as thin as rice paper; I feel like I am getting the "run around." I am not one to take things at face value, and I am starting to feel out of control of this situation. Is there any advice which can be given to correct this situation? Is there anyone, besides the supervisor, with whom I should speak?

In advance, thanks!!