Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SHUTTERBUG Gives K5 Great Review

Just got the latest Shutterbug Magazine in the mail today and Joe gave the K-5 a great write-up.

09-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K5 DESERVES a great write-up. It is a very good camera. Had the K5 (some units) not suffered from the stains and the mirror-overrun issues and possibly the the AF issues in low light, there would have been no complaints.

Those who received a K5 with none of the above issues have to be thrilled with their camera and rightly so. Mine suffered from only the mirror-overrun problem and I am so happy to have it back after 13 days at CRIS. Having to use the GH2 and GF1 while it was gone was not a great experience after having used the K5 for about five months both of those cameras are good but not in the same league as the K5.

I hope that my K5 is "Totally Fixed" because I really enjoy using it along with the DA* and Ltd lenses I have purchased for it. I have enjoyed using the K5 much more than the 5D MKII & L Glass I sold to make the switch... and I've been in the Canon fold for 10 years.
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
The K5 DESERVES a great write-up. It is a very good camera. Had the K5 (some units) not suffered from the stains and the mirror-overrun issues and possibly the the AF issues in low light, there would have been no complaints.

Those who received a K5 with none of the above issues have to be thrilled with their camera and rightly so. Mine suffered from only the mirror-overrun problem and I am so happy to have it back after 13 days at CRIS. Having to use the GH2 and GF1 while it was gone was not a great experience after having used the K5 for about five months both of those cameras are good but not in the same league as the K5.

I hope that my K5 is "Totally Fixed" because I really enjoy using it along with the DA* and Ltd lenses I have purchased for it. I have enjoyed using the K5 much more than the 5D MKII & L Glass I sold to make the switch... and I've been in the Canon fold for 10 years.
I got news for you. Mine had stains and hed to be returned, but I'm still thrilled.
09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I got news for you. Mine had stains and hed to be returned, but I'm still thrilled.
Me too, its the Alpha Romeo of cameras.

09-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Heh. Very apt analogy, in several ways.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

Mine had mirror overrun problems and I still love it. One reason, I can use all my old Pentax lenses from my film days, another reason, it is just a great camera. Oh, I also still use a Pentax film camera from time to time.

Wayne
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha Ha - great tagline " Pentax K-5, the Alpha Romeo of cameras."

09-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Although I had the dreaded stain issue and I wasn't pleased with the amount of time it took to simply send a replacement camera. I'm still thrilled with my K-5...it's the best camera I've owned. The review is by far one of the most positive commercial reviews I've seen. He had nothing but positive remarks and I have to say it made me feel good about owning the best camera out there!
09-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmm.. so that means the only way to Photographers Heaven is Shooting with a Pentax
(ObTopGearReference)
09-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I was almost convinced that magazine had either overlooked or intentionally avoided the K-5, but it was nice to see the super-favorable write-up. It's a superb camera, and I'm thrilled to own one (zero problems with mine).
09-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #11

I bought the K-5 Limited Silver about 5 mos ago, zero problems to date. My only gripe, and I mean ONLY gripe is the relative lack of price competition on lenses compared to Canikon! There seems to always be sales and rebates at the local camera shops for those. Glad to see Pentax rebate on K-5, that along with the great reviews should help Pentax gain some market share.
09-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ha Ha - great tagline " Pentax K-5, the Alpha Romeo of cameras."
Do they sell Alpha Romeo in the US these days?

Personally I don't like that comparison, we had a number of people leasing AR in the past.
They are beautifull, very fast, nerveous and fancy cars, but they are sitting in the workshop far too much to be called reliable.
Stopped people from driving Alpha Romeo and Lancia....

Bert
09-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Almost every review I have read, and I have read plenty, are extremely favorable to the K5. It is only when you get here that it makes you think they were reviewing a different camera? Of course, that is easily solved when I pick up my K5 and find it every bit as good...or better, than all those fantastic reviews!

This is a hell of a damn good camera, make no mistake about it. If you don't have one, you are missing the camera of your dreams, I guarantee......Otis too!

Regards!
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Forum Member

Is the Shutterbug review available online? I've looked for it and haven't been able to find it yet
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It is only when you get here that it makes you think they were reviewing a different camera?
hmm... must be just a coincidence then that Amazon yanked it from their inventory.

QuoteOriginally posted by Amazon.com:
Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.