Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Parts hold... not good...

Anyone had their repair delayed for a parts hold? How long can I expect the delay to be?

They didn't even look at the thing until week 4... Apparently I need a new main circuit board... 2-3 more weeks they say.. BS I say...

09-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep telling yourself it's the best APS-C camera you can buy.
Apparently, it takes the sting away.
09-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
Anyone had their repair delayed for a parts hold? How long can I expect the delay to be?

They didn't even look at the thing until week 4... Apparently I need a new main circuit board... 2-3 more weeks they say.. BS I say...
My friend has a K20D for which the repair was put on hold waiting for some board related to the shutter, i think. All this stuff about being bought by Ricoh probably isn't helping staff to order a lot of spare parts for models. In any case, i would think spare parts for the K5 would be more plentiful than my friends K20.
09-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Just a sober and factual assessment is needed here.
There are two issues at play and each one has no bearing on the quality of the other.

1) The camera, sorry the computer with a lens attached, is one of the best, no question.
2) The quality of the service department for this camera is crap. In your country, not in mine.

So lets judge the two issues separately as we should. Camera good, service crap. Just because the service (in your country) is below par does not mean the cam is no good.
I had an issue with my "Computer with the lens attached", it was repaired (like a computer a new motherboard was needed) quickly, (12 days) hustle free and with a smiling repair man behind the counter. . So in my case (my country) both camera and serve are good, which should indicate to everyone here if everything is set up properly the level of complaints will diminish. Go RICOH!

Greetings

09-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Apparently the repair status on CRIS's website (and probably also in their book) is not updated regularly. In my case for example, the K7 was in "parts hold" for quite some time (probably since 8/11/2011), but the status was not updated until the parts arrived (8/30/2011):

Received 8/10/2011
In Repair 8/11/2011
Parts Hold 8/30/2011
In Repair 9/1/2011
Quality Assurance 9/9/2011
Repair Completed 9/9/2011
Ship 9/9/2011
09-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Just a sober and factual assessment is needed here.
There are two issues at play and each one has no bearing on the quality of the other.

1) The camera, sorry the computer with a lens attached, is one of the best, no question.
2) The quality of the service department for this camera is crap. In your country, not in mine.

So lets judge the two issues separately as we should. Camera good, service crap. Just because the service (in your country) is below par does not mean the cam is no good.
I had an issue with my "Computer with the lens attached", it was repaired (like a computer a new motherboard was needed) quickly, (12 days) hustle free and with a smiling repair man behind the counter. . So in my case (my country) both camera and serve are good, which should indicate to everyone here if everything is set up properly the level of complaints will diminish. Go RICOH!

Greetings

I can agree with that from what I have seen, admitting that my real knowledge is just based on reading in this Forum. I recall clearly when Hoya bought Pentax reading where their top exec declared that they had little interest in the camera division....and over the following years it became apparent that they had even less interest in the American market.
It was enough to make me consider going to another brand...but that wonderful K20D kept me with Pentax and with buying lenses to match.

I am just assuming, without any evidence for support, that Ricoh has both an interest in the camera business (Duh!) and in the American market, one of the largest in the world, if not the largest. Will we be seeing this in the near future? Maybe with more Pentax dealers, more and better service, and more Pentax advertising? I sure hope so! If not, then it will be hard for many to stay with Pentax....problems can develop with any type of equipment, but when there is a breakdown in service, it becomes unacceptable.
Does anyone here have experience with Ricoh service? Maybe someone can got to their Forum at DPR and ask some questions? I can't...DPR banned me and my Squirrels, and although Otis can easily hack into the site, he won't,.....says it smells too bad over there.
Best Regards!
09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am just assuming, without any evidence for support, that Ricoh has both an interest in the camera business (Duh!) and in the American market,... Does anyone here have experience with Ricoh service?
I hope so too...

CRIS services both Ricoh and Pentax. In my limited experience, service time, particularly the "parts hold" period, is much better with Ricoh cameras than with Pentax.

09-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

My k-5 was on parts hold for 5 weeks waiting for a new circuit board. I was told that at the end of 5 weeks they would issue a replacement camera. But low and behold the last day the part miraculously arrived.

Good Luck
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unsurprising there is a shortage of Main Boards at the moment - Pentax have opened the flood gates on the repair of the units that suffer from Mirror Overrun to have the main board swapped.
The rapid rate at which they have started swapping these boards out would support the idea that they would rapidly deplete any 'normal' Spares supply..

And the 'standard replacement inventory level' of the Main Board wouldn't be high enough to support the number of repairs that have occured over the past 3 weeks on this forum alone..

Me - I'm still going to get one - the fact its being repaired now and they have identified the effected batch means that I have peace of mind that should any hiccups occur it'll be sorted promptly...