Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Tips?

Some of us never owned the K7, which is similar to the K5 in many Menu items, so I am told.....Are there any tips you better shooters can give us on K5 settings, or unique uses that might help us improve our skills and enjoyment? Maybe something you have found to make your K5 work for you or your style even better?

An example I can give, just from my own experimentation.....I have been having fits with Red.....just can't seem to "get it right" without a lot of processing. This morning, I was wandering around the settings and decided to try "Muted". Works great for a true to life red Jpeg, without blowing out parts of the color or giving an orange cast beyond the true color. If I shoot reds in Muted, then add a little saturation in processing, it comes out near perfect to the actual bird.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Of course, Squirrels are already perfect..... (I am required to post a Squirrel for every bird....sorry! It's in my contract)
[IMG] [/IMG]

Not just colors etc.but anything that you have found useful on the K5 settings would be appreciated and helpful. Anything you do unique or that maybe a K5 Newbie might miss would be appreciated....at least by me and Otis.

Best Regards!

09-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Otis, my camera comes tomorrow. Please tie your tail in a knot, and lay low. I don't want anything screwing this up.
09-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

What is this "Otis" thing?

I keep seeing reference to "Otis" in conjunction with squirrels. I'm a Brit; all squirrels mean to me is 'nuisance'. Am I missing something?
09-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Lately I've been using Av with the aperture on the rear dial and Exposure Compensation on the front (Tv is configured the same way). ISO floats between 80 and 32000. Until the K5 I never messed with exposure compensation but I've become a huge proponent of it with the K5. I know there's a button for it but having it on one of the e-dials in the semi auto modes, makes getting the shot a breeze. Especially when using spot metering and chasing a moving object (The Hound). As for the in camera processing, I never use it and couldn't even tell you where it's set. Every photo I use comes from the PEF RAW file.

09-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
What is this "Otis" thing?

I keep seeing reference to "Otis" in conjunction with squirrels. I'm a Brit; all squirrels mean to me is 'nuisance'. Am I missing something?

Not really.....you pretty much nailed it, Squirrels are a worldwide nuisance, not much different here. It is hard to get rid of them,once they have infested a place, as you well know from your troubles in Britain with them. Word on the street is that they intend to take over the world......can't say that they aren't making progress, can you?
Best Regards!

Tony, I have no idea what this means...well, in all honesty I do....... but I just got word that one of Otis' "Volunteer Squirrels" is standing by for the arrival of your new K5. I certainly hope for your sake that it is as perfect as mine. If not, you will get that Otis Guarantee that he has promised, so either way you are sure to get the thrill of a lifetime!
Name:  Otis 1.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  82.0 KB

Best Regards & Good Luck!

Jeff....That is the sort of thing I am interested in. More info like that would be helpful. I also shoot Raw...but always Raw+ Thanks for that info, I can use it!
Regards to the Hound from Otis!
09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for ya discovery about the muted option.. gotta try it... sometimes the colors are too saturated... i know that incorrect exposure can a contributing factor in bright sunlight... but even then... i'd like to dial the colors down a notch.. thanks rupert.. dave m
09-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
thanks for ya discovery about the muted option.. gotta try it... sometimes the colors are too saturated... i know that incorrect exposure can a contributing factor in bright sunlight... but even then... i'd like to dial the colors down a notch.. thanks rupert.. dave m
It is working good for me on the reds. I think there are many other tips on the K5 that might be useful, I hope some with more experience and knowledge will share them with us.
Regards!

09-14-2011, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great and underestimated feature is the composition adjustment. Does anybody use it?
I do use it a lot. It is actually capable of turning any lens into shift lens. Of course the sift is only few milimeters but sometimes it does the job. If you are shooting architecture or panoramas a lot, then try the fake shift with composition adjustment.
I wrote an article about it, including some photos demonstrating the possibilities:
Google Překladač

(Yes, it's originally in Czech, maybe I'll translate it properly later, if there is enough demand for it)
09-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Great and underestimated feature is the composition adjustment. Does anybody use it?
I do use it a lot. It is actually capable of turning any lens into shift lens. Of course the sift is only few milimeters but sometimes it does the job. If you are shooting architecture or panoramas a lot, then try the fake shift with composition adjustment.
I wrote an article about it, including some photos demonstrating the possibilities:
Google Překladač

(Yes, it's originally in Czech, maybe I'll translate it properly later, if there is enough demand for it)
That is interesting......not sure I would ever be skilled enough to even know when or how to use it to my advantage, but I'm sure it has a benefit to those that are. This is the kind of information that might help someone.....more is out there, I am betting?
Regards & Thanks!
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hate to interrupt this program...but Otis wants to report that he has just honored another K5 Otis Guarantee.....he says this is not meant to intimidate Tony, just to show that his Squirrel word is good if needed........

We continue this thread uninterrupted...
Regards!
Attached Images

09-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

We must all bow to the almighty be it appraised Otis, as I sit here in my great loneliness waiting for my, dare I say replacement K5.
09-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
We must all bow to the almighty be it appraised Otis, as I sit here in my great loneliness waiting for my, dare I say replacement K5.
In all seriousness, I hope you are well satisfied and will find the same joy and fun many of us have with out K5s. Otis, as much as he likes blowing things up, has the same desire...that you will join us in all the delights the K5 can bring. Pass your time waiting in the K5 Photo Thread,it is a great inspiration...even to an old Squirrel shooter like me. I look at some of those fine shots and imagine that I might get some of my own someday....you never know, luck has always been kind to me, just not necessarily with photography!
Best Regards!
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 09-14-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
09-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnx Quote
what is this "otis" thing?

I keep seeing reference to "otis" in conjunction with squirrels. I'm a brit; all squirrels mean to me is 'nuisance'. Am i missing something?
roflmao!
09-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
roflmao!
Good to see you Al! Been wondering where you have been. Drop me line if you can.
Apparently there are a few that are not familiar with Otis........I guess we could call them the "Lucky Ones"?

You are a great shooter...got any K5 tips? Anything to post? We're easy here, and friendly......you have great works, show us some and give us some tips!

Best Regards
Rupert
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In all seriousness, I hope yo are well satisfied and will find the same joy and fun many of us have with out k5s. Otis, as much as he likes blowing things up, has the same desire...that you will join us in all the delights the K5 can bring. Pass your time waiting in the K5 Photo Thread,it is a great inspiration...even to an old Squirrel shooter like me. I look at some of those fine shots and imagine that I might get some of my own someday....you never know, luck has always been kind to me, just not necessarily with photography!
Best Regards!
Rupert
Thanks Rupert! I can't wait to get my K5 back. This has been a long ten days. It will be out for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully I can get out with it this weekend. Not at all worried about sensor stains as B/H Photo's stock is up to 403xxxxxxxx.