Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is this a sensor stain on my new K-5

Hi everyone, after spending a lot of time trying to decide between Canon and Nikon I finally decided to go for the K-5 . It has some really nice primes and hopefully with the recent purchase by Ricoh, will see some nice new things in short future for Pentax.

Anyway I've been doing the sensor stain tests and found the following. Not sure if it's dust or a stain. The camera serial starts with 4070.

The shot has been taking with the 18-55mm kit at F40 ISO 100 55mm.

Stain or dust position

Name:  stain-position.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  37.6 KB

100% crop

Name:  IMGP0084.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  39.0 KB

What do you think. Just bought the camera 2 days ago.

Thanks to every one and hopefully my next post will be some photographs.

Cheers

09-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looks like dust to me
09-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. Try your dust removal function a few times, or a blower, and learn to keep the camera face down when changing your lens, it helps a lot
09-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It' dust on the sensor. Common problem with dslr's, independently of the brand. For dust removal, look for the older threads on the topic, in case the camera's dust removal function does not do the trick.
Try to change lenses quickly to avoid dust getting on the sensor. I do something like this:

(Couldn't find a better video.)

09-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by encebollado14 Quote
Hi everyone, after spending a lot of time trying to decide between Canon and Nikon I finally decided to go for the K-5 . It has some really nice primes and hopefully with the recent purchase by Ricoh, will see some nice new things in short future for Pentax.

Anyway I've been doing the sensor stain tests and found the following. Not sure if it's dust or a stain. The camera serial starts with 4070.

The shot has been taking with the 18-55mm kit at F40 ISO 100 55mm.

Stain or dust position

Attachment 103741

100% crop

Attachment 103743

What do you think. Just bought the camera 2 days ago.

Thanks to every one and hopefully my next post will be some photographs.

Cheers
Hi
The way it presents in the picture it is definitely, certainly, undoubtedly, decidedly, irrefutably 100% dirt. The way it presents itself also tells me that the speck is if of organic matter. Typically some skin flake, dandruff or perhaps pollen. Through humidity and hot/warm running sensor it has "bloomed" a circular halo around itself. I have seen this many many times.

You wont be able to remove it with a (any) blower or even brush. (Very few things can be removed with the blower actually, yes you read correctly) To remove it you need a wet clean with an dissolving agent like Ethanol.

If you have a small speck that looks like a dark spot quite distinct without the halo around it, it is more typical dust and can be removed simply with a soft, clean and untouched artist brush. The brush ought to be no wider than 13-14mm. If it is a piece of fluff that will show up also quite distinct as a piece of fluff and that would be the only candidate for a blower, but I use just always the brush which I keep in a little clear plastic ziplock bag. Easy to travel with.

So please do not panic, the string of pearls is still haunting people but it decidedly is a thing of the past.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2011 at 05:03 AM.
09-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot to all you guys for the help.

Cheers
09-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
You wont be able to remove it with a (any) blower or even brush. (Very few things can be removed with the blower actually, yes you read correctly) To remove it you need a wet clean with an dissolving agent like Ethanol.
Greetings
The best thing to use is the Pentax O-ICK1 Image-Sensor Cleaning Kit!K-5 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX
Manny consider this one as the best, even LEICA uses it in their factory on several production stages!
I have this for years now and no complains at all