Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First day out with K5

Here are some shots I took today with my new K5. The camera performed flawlessly! Can't believe the difference in dynamic range over my K7. Exposures were mostly right on.
It was a very hazy Florida day.

09-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sweet! Welcome to the club!
09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice! ....but after all that work on your behalf by Otis....not a single Squirrel shot? The little guy was willing to sacrifice a "Volunteer" for you.....surely you can get a few shots of the Handsome Squirrels in your area for his scrap book?
Regards!

What? No Squirrel shots!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've only got the JPEG to work off, but with your 3rd shot I cut-&-pasted it into the freeware XnView (Ctrl-Shift-V) and bought up the histogram in Levels (L). The max. White Point seems to be only 230 out of 255. Try setting the WP to 230. It will brighten up this image without having much effect on the deep shadows (unlike adjusting Brightness) and didn't seem to blow any highlights.

And I think the WP in the bird shot could safely be adjusted to 241-248. It will blow the extreme white on one of the floating leaves (causing "Blinkies" on the screen of your post-processing software if you have that option enabled), but you're not really losing any visually interesting image info.

Do you shot in raw?

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-16-2011 at 02:35 PM.
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I've only got the JPEG to work off, but with your 3rd shot I cut-&-pasted it into the freeware XnView (Ctrl-Shift-V) and bought up the histogram in Levels (L). The max. White Point seems to be only 230 out of 255. Try setting the WP to 230. It will brighten up this image without having much effect on the deep shadows (unlike adjusting Brightness) and didn't seem to blow any highlights.

And I think the WP in the bird shot could safely be adjusted to 241-248. It will blow the extreme white on one of the floating leaves (causing "Blinkies" on the screen of your post-processing software if you have that option enabled), but you're not really losing any visually interesting image info.

Do you shot in raw?

Dan.
These were all Jpg. Haven't tried raw yet.
09-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice! ....but after all that work on your behalf by Otis....not a single Squirrel shot? The little guy was willing to sacrifice a "Volunteer" for you.....surely you can get a few shots of the Handsome Squirrels in your area for his scrap book?
Regards!

What? No Squirrel shots!
[/url] [/IMG]
I didn't feel like changing lenses because it was rather windy. also, the squirrels looked very sick with tumors all their bodies, perhaps fallout from one of Otis's warranties. Here are some from my K7.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-03-2015 at 06:18 PM.
09-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcometo K-5 land Tony

09-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Smeggypants.
09-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis appreciates the Squirrel shots from your K7...but he wants "Fresh Meat".....so get him some new shots, and he said to add....pretty fast! Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

Mama Festus says she will handle Otis if you can send her something for her diet....like a box of chocolate covered pecans.....

Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]
09-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis appreciates the Squirrel shots from your K7...but he wants "Fresh Meat".....so get him some new shots, and he said to add....pretty fast! Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

Mama Festus says she will handle Otis if you can send her something for her diet....like a box of chocolate covered pecans.....

Regards!

[/url] [/IMG]
Tell Otis I will try to oblige this week. As far as the chocolate pecans are concerned, don't think I'd have a shot at getting them past my wife. Nope no chance in hell.
09-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

Una gran cámara esta k5!

que la disfrutes!
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #12

That's a lovely palette of colors on the bird shot. Did you do something in Aperture to make it happen?

(I'm trying to learn more about color in post processing, and shots like these, where it seems the palette of colors has been deliberately narrowed from the scene, are at this stage a wonderful mystery to me.)
09-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chazz5 Quote
That's a lovely palette of colors on the bird shot. Did you do something in Aperture to make it happen?

(I'm trying to learn more about color in post processing, and shots like these, where it seems the palette of colors has been deliberately narrowed from the scene, are at this stage a wonderful mystery to me.)
I'd love to take credit for it, but all I did was ad a touch of sharpening, and lightened the shadows a tad. The K5 did the rest.