Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
I moved from a Canon 5Dii (21meg-full frame) and L series and Zeiss lenses back to Pentax. I can see almost no differences in my photos. The K5 is a great camera as it is, I have a hard time figuring out how to make it's replacement much better.
In fact it's very easy to figure it out. One word: Autofocus.

09-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree 100% with TOUGEFC

In my mind, as a flagship camera, there can be two approaches, Fill it with worthless consumer features which add cost but not value, or fill it with really useable features, that a serious photographer might want.

A swivel LCD screen, and some other features sound like they belong in between.

Perhaps (and this is just a shot in the dark here) it is time to put a middle market camera into the mix again.

For me that is where the swivel screen belongs.

For the next Flagship camera, I still wopuld prefer to see restoration of the direct aperture coupling, and TTL flash. The erason is simple, the first is to get back old lens compatibility and at least AV mode as well as flash support, the second is because there are some situations where TTL is better and preferred over P-TTL, one of these is wild life, where a single flash at the moment of exposure is much less disturbing that the machine gun series of flashes in the preflash before the main flash fires. I find TTL also does much better in exposure for wild life because when you have the subject more or less filling the frame, the flash meters off the subject, where as P-TTL seems to try and meter the entire scene, causing serious over exposure. Note that TTL also supports older lenses and there are a lot of good manual aperture tele lenses out there,.
09-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couldn't agree more Lowell, and speaking of legacy glass I'd like to get back the metering functionality with old glass that I had with my DS.

NaCl(and a split focus screen that doesn't make spot metering impossible)H2O
09-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
K-5 or any flagship Pentax for that matter wont get a swivel LCD. Thats a entry-level feature for the entry level consumers moving up from their point and shoot swivel screen cameras.

That article you speak of does sound like a good read however
As an ex-Olympus shooter I can tell you that the swivel screen is FAR from an entry-level gimmick... shooting over heads at events, press conferences, at low levels, from awkward corners... it is a brilliant and very obvious improvement on any dslr - especially a flagship camera.

IMHO, of course.

09-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I agree 100% with TOUGEFC

In my mind, as a flagship camera, there can be two approaches, Fill it with worthless consumer features which add cost but not value, or fill it with really useable features, that a serious photographer might want.

A swivel LCD screen, and some other features sound like they belong in between.

Perhaps (and this is just a shot in the dark here) it is time to put a middle market camera into the mix again.

For me that is where the swivel screen belongs.

For the next Flagship camera, I still wopuld prefer to see restoration of the direct aperture coupling, and TTL flash. The erason is simple, the first is to get back old lens compatibility and at least AV mode as well as flash support, the second is because there are some situations where TTL is better and preferred over P-TTL, one of these is wild life, where a single flash at the moment of exposure is much less disturbing that the machine gun series of flashes in the preflash before the main flash fires. I find TTL also does much better in exposure for wild life because when you have the subject more or less filling the frame, the flash meters off the subject, where as P-TTL seems to try and meter the entire scene, causing serious over exposure. Note that TTL also supports older lenses and there are a lot of good manual aperture tele lenses out there,.
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Couldn't agree more Lowell, and speaking of legacy glass I'd like to get back the metering functionality with old glass that I had with my DS.

NaCl(and a split focus screen that doesn't make spot metering impossible)H2O
+1+1
And a backup/Restore of the menu...
And manual video...
And a 150mm or 200mm macro...
09-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This thread shows a diversity in wants and requirements. I'm happy for the successor to have features I don't use if they are popular with other users. the more people it satisfies the better. For example ans swivel screen is something that isn't going to affect you if you don't use it.
09-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You are probably right Smeggy....and all makers are in a competition for the "latest and greatest", so keeping up is a requirement.

For me, I would love the ability to Special Order a camera to my specifications, like a car. Take a great camera like the K5 and just bare-bone it.....at a much lower price, then add a list of options to select to fit your particular needs. For me, I would leave out the video and live view, and the in camera processing, a couple of the modes and maybe add a few options not currently available... like two card slots etc. By giving options from a base model, Ricoh could extend the life of a base model for a longer period of time and potentially increase profits.....some, like me, would actually pay more to get less.
Just a thought.....it works well on cars...some of them anyhow.
Regards!