Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

protective film

ok, received my K-5 from BH Photo last nite and charged the battery overnight. Do I need to do any firmware updates or anything before shooting?

Also. do any of you remember if your camera came with any packaging protective film on the viewing screen? Mine had none....just wondering if I received someones return rather than a new copy! I think I can trust BH but you never know....

09-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to shoot right out of the box but it can't hurt to update your firmware. I've left mine at v1.03 because I don't need the software for the GPS unit (Yet) and so far, so good. Kind of a if it ain't broke sort of thing. Hold down the menu button while turning on the camera to see where you are at.

No film on the LCDs on the cameras. None of my cameras from Pentax has ever had it. I Did put protective film on them though as screen protectors.

Welcome to the Club!

09-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

No protection came on the screen, although i was kind of surprised to see a 393* serial number on a purchase a month back (Adorama - meanwhile, someone bought a week later and SN was 40-something, oh well).

If you're at < 1.03 (turn on camera holding the down menu button), I'd upgrade to at least 1.03, as there were some significant fixes in the earlier firmware updates:
Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

You can also check your firmware, manufacturing date and other info using 'exiftool' (OSX, *nix), 'photome' (Windows) and potentially others..
09-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
My firmware was v1.01 so I upgraded to the 1.11
Camera serial no. was 402**** wow, The k-5 sure has a different feel than my K-x.....sweet!