Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
coming back to Pentax

My first Pentax was a k10d, and then I moved to a k-7. I know much was human error, but as my kids got older I just could not get good shots of them running around the yard. The autofocus tracking really did not work for me. Pentax just did not allow me any leeway in technique. I jump fences and have had the D7000 for the last year. Wonderful camera, but I missed pentax. I missed the green button, I missed the feel.

From my understanding the K5 has better focus tracking and I am hoping I can make it work for me. I just bought a used K5 today, and hoping beyond all hopes I can make it work for me. Then I can sell the Nikon and have some playing money.

09-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back to K-world; as you say the K-5 is supposed to have much better focus tracking than the K10D, indeed, much better AF performance overall. I'm looking forward to making the same jump, from K10D to K-5.
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will be interesting to hear your comparisons of the K5 to the D7000, as a user of both. Please keep posting.
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cute toddler shot, that last one.
re. tracking autofocus, I think I can relate. You really need to keep one and the same autofocus point pinned on the same place on the subject. And the Pentax autofocus "points" are quite large, so they will easily catch onto background clutter if you accidentally drift halfway off the subject.

Regards,
--Anders.

09-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first photo is from a 7D...
09-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah first one and third one. The first one is with the 7d and 70-200 F4 IS L, The third one is with the 7d and the 100 2.8 macro. The bird in flight is from the d7000 and sigma 70-200 2.8, and the last one is from the D7000 and I believe the tamron 28-75. If you want to know my complete history. Original Rebel > K10D > D90 > K7 > 7D > D7000 > Soon to be K5. Twice my gear has been stolen (K10D,7D).
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those are some nice photos (love the first one), no matter what camera shot them. I kind of like Pentax, I like the "feel" and the handling, the layout of the controls, and the menu. I've shot with some friends Nikons and Canons....can't knock them...but they didn't have that "feel" to them that I have come to love.
The things I knew I was missing are no longer missing on my K5, which makes it feel even better! So....I can easily understand your position......welcome back!
Best Regards!

09-24-2011, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #8

Personally, Id stay right where you are. I had a chance to shoot a friends D7000 with the SB700 flash what a joy to shoot just very good fast accurate in very dim conditions. Focusing was a little odd but other than that light years ahead of the K5 in Flash exposure.
09-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am not ditching the Nikon until I confirm that Pentax is now where I need it to be. I use a lot of flash and often multiple flashes but it is never something that held me back or gave me problems. Autofocus is the only thing that gave me fits. I hope the k-5 can help me because I like hyper-manual and the green button ALMOST as much as the 7D,'s focusing.
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm curious what you think as well. A friend showed me photos he took of his kids in a darkened skating rink at f/4 with a 70-200/2.8 on a D7000 (with flash, but the body/lens tracked the kids). There's no way my K20D would have been able to do that and I seriously doubt a K-5 would be able to do it in those dim conditions either...
09-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm curious what you think as well. A friend showed me photos he took of his kids in a darkened skating rink at f/4 with a 70-200/2.8 on a D7000 (with flash, but the body/lens tracked the kids). There's no way my K20D would have been able to do that and I seriously doubt a K-5 would be able to do it in those dim conditions either...
The D7000 and K5 share the same sensor and very close in image quality, unlike the Sony's that seem to give up a bit to the K5 or Nikon with the same sensor.
I'd expect with equivalent glass the shots to be fairly similar in IQ and DR.

@OP - any chance to borrow or maybe rent a K5 for a week to get it in your hands and remove some of the guessing?
Not having any experience with the D7000, just a lot of reading and comparing pics and many reviews, I'd expect it to come down to ergonomics mostly, with the D7000 having the better autofocus. Getting one in your hands for a week might be a worthwhile investment.
09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rtp - Actually I still have the nikon as well.

Update - Camera came in on Monday and my Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM arrived yesterday. Really have not had the time to delve into it too much.

First impressions- I do truly miss Pentax features such as the green button and handling.

Low light indoor focus - Pentax is close to the D7000 for speed. Of course I am using the Sigma HSM on the Pentax and Tamron 28-75 on the nikon. I will say that I have not gotten too many decent indoor shots with the Pentax yet. Seems pretty soft so far but remember I am dealing with a lot of variables in the short 3 hours I have been able to play with it. (IE. ISO 6400 1/125 and f4 and everything was soft). I will get those worked out in the next several days so I can give a proper assessment.

Outdoor focus - 95% that on the D7000

Focus tracking - Not tested yet.

Flash - First bounce flash shot and wouldn't you know it - COMPLETELY BLOWN - Dialed and back and looks good.

Remember this is after only a couple hours. I mean yesterday I did not bring the manual and could not figure out how to put in continuous mode. Anyway I will give more feedback as I get more comfortable with it and confirm the sigma lens is up to par.

Anything in particular some body would like me to compare? Indoor low light shots and focus tracking are my main areas of interest.
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I know it is asking a lot...but Otis requests a Squirrel shot or two.......
Best wishes and hope you find all well and to your satisfaction. The K5 features are very nice indeed....the Green button..Tav.....the solid body......
Regards!
09-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #14

@rk - oops, sorry, you did post that you bought a used K5, I thought you were considering it but hadn't purchased yet.

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in your impressions compared to the D7000 after being able to spend some 'settling in' time - it's one thing to look at specs and random images, but would be nice to know from someone who has spent 'real' time with both cameras, the good and the bad.
09-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
CONCLUSION.......

Well the Nikon and associated lenses and flash went up on ebay.

Autofocus - AF-C worked plenty good, and in fact worked inside in pretty dim light (light was dim enough that my settings were around ~ f4 ~1/90 and 3200 iso), but of course most suffered from motion blur at this speed. The Nikon IS faster and better, but not by any wide margin. I really do not think it would affect most people. You what will affect most people? The small buffer on the D7000. The buffer fills and you are stuck there pressing the shutter release until it can snap another pic. Indoor low light single focus slight edge to D7000, but has yet to be a problem with 3 nights of shooting a 2 and 4 yo in dim conditions. MY EARLIER POST ABOUT BAD INDOOR SHOTS WERE DUE TO A SIGMA LENS PROBLEM>

High ISO - Same sensor, but I give the edge to the K5. Never in the 8 months of having the d7000 have I ever been wow look at what I pulled out of this. Why I do not know, but the K5 just look and handle better.

Handling - Green button!!!! why have others not implemented it? Am I the only one that loves it the way I do? The K5 is a little small for me but I will get used to it again.

Flash - People always rave about CLS. And I do not understand why. I do use alot of flash and multiple flashes, but maybe I never truly understood CLS. To me it was multiple wireless flashes that could be independently controlled and triggered by the on board flash. You still blew bounced pictures, or sometimes underexposed. You still had to adjust the flash output most of the time. I really do not see a difference in it and Pentax's system except the name. When I had the 7d it was the same as well. The flash sync speed does not effect me, as when I want bright daylight fill flash I am most likely lens to nose with a snake and HSS works great.

Finally I just have always liked Pentax. I bought my k10d the night I found out my wife was pregnant with my first child. Now time for lens shopping!! Anybody know where to get a sigma 100-300 f4?

This is all motion blur but I laughed at the face

Last edited by rkboid; 09-30-2011 at 12:11 PM.