Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a note Otis passed on to me......the girls over at Sylvia's House of Worldly Pleasures and Billiard Tables say there is a big difference in batteries....some being more powerful than others. Syvia herself prefers her diesel powered vibe.......but would be willing to try a genuine Pentax powered device........for massage purposes, of course.
Regards!

09-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #17

I bought Adorama's spare battery as a part of a K-5 kit. It is only 1550mAh compared with the Pentax OEM 1860mAh battery and looks just okay. I think I will get the OEM Pentax battery if I were to make a choice again, even for more money. This is just for spare and back-up only.

Or I will probably go for the 2000mAh batteries such as this:

Buy.com - SterlingTek's Equivalent Pentax K-5 Battery 2000 mAH

Yet I don't have experiences with this product so I cannot say for sure...
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoJian Quote
I bought Adorama's spare battery as a part of a K-5 kit. It is only 1550mAh compared with the Pentax OEM 1860mAh battery and looks just okay. I think I will get the OEM Pentax battery if I were to make a choice again, even for more money. This is just for spare and back-up only.
That's right, you have to look at what you're buying. Many aftermarket batteries are the same or even higher mAh than OEM. I would never buy one that is less.
09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Whatever my reasons, they are my reasons, and your being a dickhead about it is childish.
...speaking of dickheads......Sylvia Squirrel agrees with you Wheatfield, if she is not going to get the "real thing" then she at least wants to use the Genuine Batteries. Never though I would see a Squirrel in agreement with you, but there you have it!
Regards!

09-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
IOW you're admitting to buying 3rd party batteries, but with a pentax sticker on.
My reasons for buying first party rather than third party are perfectly valid.
You may or may not agree, that is your prerogative, and I don't really care what you think on the subject one way or the other.
Having said that, I feel that your manner of disagreeing, is, in this instance, completely childish.
09-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My reasons for buying first party rather than third party are perfectly valid.
You may or may not agree, that is your prerogative, and I don't really care what you think on the subject one way or the other.
Having said that, I feel that your manner of disagreeing, is, in this instance, completely childish.
Oooooooooooooo

Not that I need reassuring my behaviour is moraly and culturally sound, but if I did then being called 'childish' by some people would certainly do just that.

But if you're happier buying 3rd party batteries with a Pentax stick on then who am I to worry.
09-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

But if you're happier buying 3rd party batteries with a Pentax stick on then who am I to worry.
You shouldn't worry, as it has nothing to do with you.
However....

As soon as the company slaps their name onto an accessory product, they are guaranteeing that it is fit for use with the products it is intended to be used with.
They are guaranteeing that it has been built to their specification, no matter who the actual manufacturer was, be it them or a jobber that was a given a set of specifications to meet.
And if it fails to meet those specifications, it is on that company to make it right.
The same CANNOT be said for a product that has a third party label on it.
All that can be said is that it's form factor is such that it will fit onto (or into) the product it is intended for, not that it meets the operational criteria required.
It may meet the specifications required, but it just as easily might not, and if it doesn't, who is going to pick up the tab?
Oh yes, that would be the user, since it's highly doubtful that the other parties will do anything other than point their corporate fingers at each other, blaming each other for the failure.
If a person wants the peace of mind that buying OEM brings, what's the problem? It's not like we are talking about a lot of money here.

09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Have fun. - I see no sense in paying 7 times for something that provides the same service when the odds of the lesser priced model either failing or causing damge to the camera are almost nil. Of course if the world was splattered with a huge amount of reports of 3rdparty batteries without a pentax logo on causing all kinds of problems then yes I too would stump up the 7 times insurance premium. but in the real world.
09-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking to get a spare battery too. I have one of those ebay battery and my experience is that it does not hold charge as long as the original OEM ones...

That said, BHP is selling the original battery for USD36. In Oz this is selling at a Rip-off A$110!! What a rip-off!!

Any ozzie starting a group buy from BHP? I will order 2
09-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Have fun. - I see no sense in paying 7 times for something that provides the same service when the odds of the lesser priced model either failing or causing damge to the camera are almost nil. Of course if the world was splattered with a huge amount of reports of 3rdparty batteries without a pentax logo on causing all kinds of problems then yes I too would stump up the 7 times insurance premium. but in the real world.
Well, 7 times almost nothing is still little more than nothing, so I don't really see a problem.
Do you?
09-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well, 7 times almost nothing is still little more than nothing, so I don't really see a problem.
Do you?
09-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #27

I have been using a 3rd party battery with my K-7 for about half a year and have been quite happy with it until now. I recently experienced the battery going from almost full capacity to being completely flat without any warning. The battery worked fine after a recharge, but now a month after the same thing happened again. I noticed that both times the battery died on me I was previewing a picture. Another thing I noticed was that after I had changed the battery and powered the camera up again it was like part of the text from the preview was still showing on the screen like a burn-in. Luckily the text faded after some time.

I don't think this sort of sudden shutdown is healthy in the long run for the camera, so I have decided to discard the battery and go for a pentax battery.

I am sure that there are good 3rd party batteries, but I haven't experience this problem with my pentax battery and it has seen the same amount of use as the 3rd party battery.

The 3rd party battery is made under the name Cameron Sino.
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #28

I think, Greve, that you will find that it doesn't matter what brand of battery you use, when it has lost its charge the camera will stop working! All Lithium batteries will show the same characteristics in operation. If you had depleted the charge on a 'Pentax' battery, it would have acted the same!

Interesting that those with AA battery using cameras don't have this discussion.

They just use a set of AA's of their choice. Is this because there are never any bad AA batteries made? No, It is just that they are familiar with the size and shape. It is often seen as an advantage that you can use any AA battery in these cameras. Sure there are AA batteries of different types (alkaline, nicad etc) but no one suggests you will damage your AA using camera for using the wrong brand!

So why Is it different with the 'special' Pentax battery? First the shape is different. That's because the camera manufacturer designs the battery to fit in the camera. Of course it could also be to maximize profit on return sales, especially when the camera maker charges an extortionate amount for the 'genuine' one. They also manage to ensure they don't use a standard shape.

Which do you think is the main reason why there is no standardization on camera batteries, as there is on all the AA, AAA, pp3, C and D using kit. I bet a lot of camera lithium rechargeable batteries even have the same cells inside, just the plastic outside changes.

I happily used ebay batteries for my K10 and will happily carry on using them for my K5. I can also buy around 7 or 8 for the price of one 'Pentax' branded battery so its a no brainer for me.
09-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I buy OEM batteries only. I figure that if the camera has a probem that can be blamed on batteries, having only the manufacturer's battery gives me a better chance of getting warranty.
This is what manufacturers hope and strive for when the stick their label on a generic battery. It is the old warranty scare. It is the only way to hoodwink people. Correct me if I am wrong but I understand USA consumer laws prohibit this sort of thing. (Epson is still trying very hard to convince people to use only their overpriced inks) Its the old story isn't it.

I think it was Orson Welles who said: "What's in a name... everything"

Greetings
09-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by doingthebobs Quote
They just use a set of AA's of their choice. Is this because there are never any bad AA batteries made? No, It is just that they are familiar with the size and shape. It is often seen as an advantage that you can use any AA battery in these cameras. Sure there are AA batteries of different types (alkaline, nicad etc) but no one suggests you will damage your AA using camera for using the wrong brand!
There are still clear and logically thinking people here in this forum, you are one of them.

Greetings