Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It gives me fits....but looking back, red has always been difficult, and the better the light the harder it is to keep it under control. I do think my K10D did reds better than the K20D or the K5.
Good I have Gray Squirrels instead of Red Squirrels...if I had red Squirrels you guys would never see one here again!

Regards.....and I am interested in hearing any solutions anyone may have?

09-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

The colours in the original file don't look too bad, maybe just a smidgen red heavy and oversaturated. (I like to see the RAW though) But please look at the girls thighs (just for colour analysis please) and you will see the skin tone is just about correct. Her face is red from running around a lot. But the red shirt is approx. 23% oversaturated, which is quite a lot. If the red oversaturation is not apparent in the RAW file then something must have happened there on the way. Also I suspect the light in late Sep. afternoon in Holland could be having a certain yellw quality which would add to the drama.

Also you may have inadvertently buggered up the settings in the "Setting Custom Image" (Page 222) I have modified the "Landscape" settings to suit my style for general activities. If you see too much red you can pull back the red channel a bit here in any of the custom setting and make this your default setting. Just for academic purposes here is my correction.
(It is hard to get it right in JPG)

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
09-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Use a different Custom Image (page 222 of K-5 manual)

Try a different Custom Image Tone.

There are 9 custom image finishing tones when shooting in jpeg, namely Bright (default setting), Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Bleach Bypass, Reversal and Monochrome. Depending on the selected Custom Image setting, you can adjust the saturation, hue, high/low key adjust, contrast, sharpness, filter effect and toning parameters.
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #19

Looking at the R, G, and B histograms, all of them show blown highlights, R being the worst.

When I shoot a deep red rose, I start at -1EV, and always shoot raw. -0,3EV is not nearly enough.

09-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Inactive Account

You mean like This?

Camera Pentax K-5
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 135 mm
ISO Speed 160
Exposure Bias -1 EV

Taken with an FA77 f1.8 on a Pentax f1.7x AF Converter

09-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Try a different Custom Image Tone.

There are 9 custom image finishing tones when shooting in jpeg, namely Bright (default setting), Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Bleach Bypass, Reversal and Monochrome. Depending on the selected Custom Image setting, you can adjust the saturation, hue, high/low key adjust, contrast, sharpness, filter effect and toning parameters.
I used Portrait wich is mainly my standard setting. Never looked into the difference settings for that.

Looking into this later today again.
09-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I was looking at this one last night.....the color is not right, and I took it to Spix where I got it very close to right,but can't get the file downloaded to post here, my Spix is freezing and needs to be re-installed.
However, I am noticing that the reds seem to be blotchy and lack detail, while other colors do not have this problem. The reds seem to smear and wipe out the detail. I see this a lot when shooting reds. I don't think it is just the K5, I see it in lots of red shots from many different cameras, but my K5 does seem worse than my previous cameras?
Maybe more care in shooting reds will help, but it is a real headache to get them right.
I also note that this was at ISO 4,000....and as you climb the ISO scale, colors are always harder to control.
Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]

09-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with "reds" blowing out with my K10. Don't know what to do to fix it. If I reduce exposure to eliminate it the whole picture is underexposed. I try to avoid reds as much as possible. At first I thought that it might be the type of sensor, but the K10 and K20 have different branded sensors than does the K5, so possibly it's some other issue in the camera image processor.
09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Ron, I am having the problem with bright pinks (I have a little girl that wears pink a lot) purples and blues. Cant say we wear red that much, but when I upload to web it doesnt look as bad. weirdest thing. It looks just awful in windows photo viewer, and in Photoshop CS5, but then upload it and its fine. It puzzles me to no end. never experienced it with the kx
09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't have the same problem with pink.....maybe a very bright pink would be difficult? This one was near perfect in the pink area.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I do think my K20D was better with reds, but I have some Canon and Nikon friends that fight the same red battles as I do. Something appears to be universal in having red difficulty? Maybe someone like Falc could tell us why this is?
Regards!
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Here is an article on "Clipping" that relates somewhat to our problem:

Clipping (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Just curious...are the Sigma sensors better or worse on clipping reds and other bright colors? Anyone have any experience there?
Regards!
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Here is an article on "Clipping" that relates somewhat to our problem:

Clipping (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clipping in some color channels may occur when an image is rendered to a different color space, when the image contains colors that fall outside the target color space. Such colors are referred to as out-of-gamut.

This form of clipping may be avoided by performing the color space conversion using a different rendering intent. However, this can sometimes result in a lower overall color saturation, leading to duller colors. The desire for bright, saturated colors may, in some cases, be more important than avoiding clipping in single channels due to out-of-gamut colors.

So when my K-5 is set to AdobeRGB and I change the picture to sRGB I lose colours, and when my reds are in that part more then average that would mean that my reds go overboard and lose detail.

Lookt at another one: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20195454/_K5I2748.jpg

and smaller in sRGB seams to have red channel clipping:

hmmm strange, but maybe more logic then I ever thought of.
09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't have the same problem with pink.....maybe a very bright pink would be difficult? This one was near perfect in the pink area.
no, I'm talking bright pink I dont have that problem with soft pinks
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I failed to mention it, but that is a nice red bloom Jeff. The color and exposure are very well done. I think that may be the key ingredient in shooting reds? Backing off the exposure...and then correct in processing?
Regards!