Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 ideal manual focus screen

what would be an ideal screen for manual focus using FA limiteds? a screen without micro prism center in fact nothing on the screen.

09-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are Plakanina from DPReview, then you already have an answer over there...
If not, then the Canon EE-S screen, without doubt! Do a search on this forum for it.
You can either cut it down yourself, or buy it at FocusingScreen (seems like they do offer it sometimes for K5/K7).
09-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by billy moon Quote
what would be an ideal screen for manual focus using FA limiteds? a screen without micro prism center in fact nothing on the screen.
I think it depends on if you can "see" focus without aid, which is an easy thing to test with the K5 and its focus indicator light/beep. I want to keep my eye on my subject and also see the composition of the whole screen clearly. So I find anything at all in my screen interferes with my sense of what the picture looks like, and also my ability to recognize focus when I finally do dial it in (plus I can also "see" perfectly well what amounts to the 2/3 rule or the center of the screen, so I don't need either of those aids on my focus screen either) -- I therefore like a blank screen. Others have said they prefer, or even need, help focusing manually, such as the help a split prism gives, and find other markers available on screens useful too.
09-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I think it depends on if you can "see" focus without aid, which is an easy thing to test with the K5 and its focus indicator light/beep. I want to keep my eye on my subject and also see the composition of the whole screen clearly. So I find anything at all in my screen interferes with my sense of what the picture looks like, and also my ability to recognize focus when I finally do dial it in (plus I can also "see" perfectly well what amounts to the 2/3 rule or the center of the screen, so I don't need either of those aids on my focus screen either) -- I therefore like a blank screen. Others have said they prefer, or even need, help focusing manually, such as the help a split prism gives, and find other markers available on screens useful too.
Certainly if you're using apertures wider than around f/2.0 then it's worth considering the Canon EE-S screen. the standard issue screen cant' resolve DOFs narrower than about F/2.0. I have to use LV to focus when shooting with my 50/1.2

09-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Certainly if you're using apertures wider than around f/2.0 then it's worth considering the Canon EE-S screen. the standard issue screen cant' resolve DOFs narrower than about F/2.0. I have to use LV to focus when shooting with my 50/1.2
True, and I have trouble with my 20mm too (so it is nice to have that focus indicator sometimes).
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
If you are Plakanina from DPReview, then you already have an answer over there...
If not, then the Canon EE-S screen, without doubt! Do a search on this forum for it.
You can either cut it down yourself, or buy it at FocusingScreen (seems like they do offer it sometimes for K5/K7).
He's right. Don't even question it. Just get one.
09-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
True, and I have trouble with my 20mm too (so it is nice to have that focus indicator sometimes).
unfortunately my A 50/1,2 needs an AF adjustment beyond the allowed +/-10 and the global adjustment isn't cumulative. So it's down to Live View magnified for manual focus confirmation. Great on static subejcts, but once yiou get people or other moving subjects in the frame it aint' so easy

09-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, Liveview is simply pathetic on the Pentax K line... I have a Samsung NX100 (based on the K7 sensor!), and man, its liveview is like instantaneous... I wonder how Pentax could botcher its liveview implementation so much, given the same material to start with.
09-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It seems to come highly recommended. do you use one of these? if so does it effect exposure readings?
thank you
09-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It has indeed an effect on exposure readings : they become perfect...

No kidding here: this screen has a near perfect linear response against apertures, meaning that stop-down metering now works flawlessly.

Moreover, using several lenses (see my signature) at different apertures, I compared metering between Liveview and viewfinder, and values were exactly the same (except for the notable exception of the 18-55, don't know why), so the EE-S screen does not throw metering off.

I even suspect it improves metering coherency between lenses, as a f/2.8 lens will now meter exactly as a f/1.4 (same focal length, of course), which was not the case before.
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good! one other. did you have to mess with shims?
09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by billy moon Quote
Good! one other. did you have to mess with shims?
I just installed one of these screens and did, in fact, have to re-calibrate it with a different size shim (had a Katzeye in there before). I already had some Pentax shims so I used one of those, but if you order from focusingscreens.com, they include some plastic shims. It's a little more tedious than just changing the screen, but not too bad. I recommend using a tiny, flathead screwdriver or something similar to hold the retaining clip up as you place the shim in place.