Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

K-x as a back-up body - What do I need to know?

OK, so, I bought 3 used lenses:
  • a Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f 1.4,
  • a Samyang 85mm f 1.4,
  • a Samyang 8mm F 3.5 Fisheye &
  • a DA L 18-55 mm f 3.5-5...
Alright, that's 4, but I already have the 18-55 that came with my K-5.

Along with this lot comes a Kx (white), a METZ 48 AF-1 DIGITAL flash, camera bag and a few other do-dads, all for less than the two Samyang lenses would cost new... a pretty good deal I think.

However, what I was really looking for when I found this package, was a K-7 to use as a back-up body... Will the Kx work as a back-up? Any opinions, advice about the camera, startling differences from the K-5...

I seem to have blown my K-7 budget... On the other hand, I got a new-to-me camera and 3 brilliant bits of glass :-)

09-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course it will work- but you might be frustrated by the single e-dial and smaller viewfinder/build at times. Apart from that and the top LCD and mode dial, operation is more or less the same

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronpyke Quote
OK, so, I bought 3 used lenses:
  • a Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f 1.4,
  • a Samyang 85mm f 1.4,
  • a Samyang 8mm F 3.5 Fisheye &
  • a DA L 18-55 mm f 3.5-5...
Alright, that's 4, but I already have the 18-55 that came with my K-5.

Along with this lot comes a Kx (white), a METZ 48 AF-1 DIGITAL flash, camera bag and a few other do-dads, all for less than the two Samyang lenses would cost new... a pretty good deal I think.

However, what I was really looking for when I found this package, was a K-7 to use as a back-up body... Will the Kx work as a back-up? Any opinions, advice about the camera, startling differences from the K-5...

I seem to have blown my K-7 budget... On the other hand, I got a new-to-me camera and 3 brilliant bits of glass :-)
You can definitely use it as a back-up body, but you probably won't enjoy using it very much when you're used to the K5. It will feel much more "basic". Only one control wheel, no focus point indicators, and a comparatively loud shutter will probably ensure that it does remain a back-up only.
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-7 and a K-r. It was really hard to give up the superior ergonomics of the K-7, but I kept the K-r and sold the K-7. If you want a semi-pro body for your backup, you could probably sell your K-x and pickup a K20d, add in the flash and get a K-7. It sounds like you made out like a bandit with this deal, so you will come out on top.

09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The K-7 is the logical choice for a K-5 backup, because they have the same control layout and operate similarly.

However, the K-x has a rocking sensor that outperforms the K-7 in low light (ISO 1600+). The better low-light performance allows me to use Auto-ISO and forget about it, whereas with the K-7 I'm more comfortable setting an ISO myself to balance performance against shutter speeds. And the K-x is smaller/lighter, both properties are desirable in a backup.

Personally, I have a K-7 as backup for the K-5. But that's because I fell into a sweet deal for the K-7. If instead I had found a sweet deal on the K-x then I'd use the K-x without worry. However, as others point out above, the K-x has some shortcomings (particularly lack of focus point indicators) which may be showstoppers for you.

For myself, none of the differences are showstoppers. I always use center point AF. I almost always shoot in Av mode, so only one dial is necessary. I like the smaller lighter K-x. I don't generally need weathersealing.
10-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

k-7 in good lighting conditions. ISO 200-800
k-x in dim lighting conditions. ISO 1600+

k-5 if u want both of the above in one body.
10-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-x is a very high performing and reliable little camera. That's reason enough to hang onto it.

As a backup having a K-x also means being able to use AA's. Out in the field that could be handy at times, especially as they can last longer than normal camera batteries, and you can pick them up anywhere, or even use the batteries out of your flash to power the camera if need be (or vice versa!).

10-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-x and K20D. When we trade up, I'm trading the K20D. A K-x with a limited prime feels about as heavy as a point and shoot but with amazing IQ. You can carry it all day without stress. For long walks on sunny days, where weight is important. And despite what anyone might tell you, it's not that bad in full sunlight.The K-x rocks. I know some don't like the controls but I actually find the added use of the back panel display quite functional in a lot of situations. I don't mind the camera at all. The batteries thing is another real advantage. At the end of trips 10 days or more, I watch nervously as my battery level on my K20D drops. By then the first battery is history and I'm down to my last few snaps. For the K-x I can pull the batteries out of GPSs, flashlights or whatever, and I have a solar charger for rechargeables. I always plan to have one camera with me that uses AAs.
10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use the K5 and K-x together. The differences in the controls were similar to the differences with the K20d, and it is pretty easy to deal with it. The K-x is a better choice as a backup to the K5 for me because it is the same size and has almost the low-light capability. I also like having a backup with AA capability without a grip.
10-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

I found the Kx struggled for event photography..... I don't quite know why but compared to the K7, i always seemed to like the feel of the photos from the K7. The Kx is known for its low light performance, but no one seems to talk about its performance in good light. I found that the pictures seemed to have a more matte look from the Kx and a more polished feel from the K7. So from experience, i didn't feel comfortable relying on it to give the feel that i wanted. I bought the K5 and now the K7 is my backup. In low light the K5 will be boss and i would not hesitate to use either in good light.

This is my experience. Others may argue and say the Kx is awesome. Well it is in many situations, but i didn't feel it was right for me.