Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #1

K5 or 5D

Well anon 5D with 24-105L has been selling for 2800 in Canada, which puts 5D at 1300
What should I get?
I like K5, but 24-105 is a good range plus full frame.....
I``m confused

10-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like the K-5, then a K-5 with a 17-70 lens will give you just about the same cropped range (what you see through the viewfinder). Whilst it's clearly not full frame, it's lighter and very capable in just about every other way.

It's your decision - if you want FF, just buy the 5D - you'll be paying considerably more for any further lens purchases you make.
10-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The 5D will get you petter AF performance but the K-5 will give you better IQ (tests prove it). There are lots of other factors involved (size, lens compatibility, etc)- do you already have a partial Pentax system, or are you looking to get a new camera alltogether?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Actually I don't think the 5D has very good AF at all, I think the K-5 would be better in this respect.

10-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you really need or want a FF camera, get a 5D.

Otherwise, K5 all the way. Better burst rate, better dynamic range, better ergo in my opinion, and in camera flash that could be useful in the right circumstances. I agree with twitch, I've had friends and knew people with 5D that had lots of trouble with its AF. AF on the K5 for me has been spot on 99% of the time.
10-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You should not decide for 5D based on just one lens. Look at other lenses that you will be using - and which system can provide those options to you.

I have had both cameras (sold the k5 but still have the 5D). 5D has a significantly bigger view finder, and focus(when using center point) is more reliable. But k-5 is smaller, is weather sealed - and gives almost the same IQ (and more DR at low ISO). And 5D's menu and button placement is somewhat weird.

I love my 5D but I am a bit biased towards FF cameras because of their big viewfinders and the field of view. I think Canon 5D and Nikon D700 are two very very good cameras.

In terms of image, k-5 will give you same (or arguably better) quality in a lighter and weather sealed body.

cheers,

dexmus
10-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
You will get identical image quality with better DR/ISO with K5 at half the price. I used to own Canon 24-105 L f4. This lens is good for still images even at 1s handheld because of IS. If you are planning to shoot moving children, then this lens is not fast enough in average light. Pentax primes like FA 31 Ltd or 77Ltd are sharper than the above zoom.
All the best with your choice.

Enjoy photography!