Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the K-5 recently after being convinced that its files would print 20x30 as well as those from my old Canon 1Ds.

This is almost true. I say "almost" because the 1Ds files require less work than the K-5 files to make very sharp, wonderfully rich looking 20x30 prints on my Epson 7600.

But with good technique and careful postprocessing, I can make 20x30 prints from the K-5 that match the 1Ds in quality. They are not identical, by any means, but slightly different renditions of equal quality.

I was not able to obtain that print quality with my K-7 no matter what I did.

10-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Inactive Account

out of curiousity where are you planning to print this? And again because I am curious do you care to share the picture? the only thing I have had issues with printing that big is minor issues you dont see on a small computer screen, but when enlarged that tiny blown spot that you didnt even notice becomes a big obvious blown spot. I print through Whcc and they are great about calling with issues like that and bringing them to my attention before sending out the print and charging me.
10-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
out of curiousity where are you planning to print this? And again because I am curious do you care to share the picture? the only thing I have had issues with printing that big is minor issues you dont see on a small computer screen, but when enlarged that tiny blown spot that you didnt even notice becomes a big obvious blown spot. I print through Whcc and they are great about calling with issues like that and bringing them to my attention before sending out the print and charging me.
Sure, here is the image:
All sizes | IMGP3447 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The only changes I have made from that one is enlarging to get 300 ppi and cropping to 20x30.
What do you think, good candidate?

Oh and I was going to get it printed at Gaslamp Photo here in San Diego. I have had good luck wih them in the past, but have never made a print this large.
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
Inactive Account

wow, very intersting.... and manly. LOL. Its not that sharp of a picture, but very cool, great colors, and the sky looks great. not easy to get that much detail in clouds!

Looking thru the rest of your photostream, thats amazing. I have never seen anything like that (in real life). What skill it must take to fly like that!

10-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I've printed a few 20X30 from my K20D, and they are as sharp as an 8X10, so while I haven't printed anything that large from my K5, I'm sure it will do that size and larger. Beyond MPs, the most important thing for large prints is sharpness, which has a lot to do with the lens, the focus and the f-stop. I even had an outfitter enlarge a K20D shot on a 4-foot X 8-foot banner, and from about a dozen feet it looked fine; close up, you could see the breakup.
If you want to go large with any Pentax, buy Limiteds and * lenses. The glass really makes a difference.
10-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The larger issue....

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I've printed a few 20X30 from my K20D, and they are as sharp as an 8X10, so while I haven't printed anything that large from my K5, I'm sure it will do that size and larger. Beyond MPs, the most important thing for large prints is sharpness, which has a lot to do with the lens, the focus and the f-stop. I even had an outfitter enlarge a K20D shot on a 4-foot X 8-foot banner, and from about a dozen feet it looked fine; close up, you could see the breakup.
If you want to go large with any Pentax, buy Limiteds and * lenses. The glass really makes a difference.
Agree with that.

Although i've printed Tamron 18-250 shots (in its best range) to 36" and gotten good results.

The larger issue is what to do with larger prints? Beyond a certain size, they are harder to carry, more difficult to find a suitable wall for in your or a customer's home. And you'd better love it if you bought it or printed for yourself, because you may have it for a long time.

having said that, it would be fun to print something really large
10-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The limiting factor in printing large is not going to be the K-5. It will be lens quality and proper technique. We really are at that point with sensor technology.

The image the OP wanted to print big will be limited by its overall sharpness. It doesn't look that sharp on my screen, it should look awful printed large. (No offense...)

10-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I am looking to print 20x30" so I just wanted to make sure I wasnt being too ambitious
Printed 20x30" onto a metallic print from a K10D (10MP). Love it on the wall. 11x14 isn't big enough to look decent sized on a wall
10-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot that will look good! I just printed 2 shtos 24x36 they look great. Now one is sent for canvas the other mounted on wood - will get them back in two weeks. I saw the prints and they looked good now we'll see in two weeks what they look like framed and mounted.
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The limiting factor in printing large is not going to be the K-5. It will be lens quality and proper technique. We really are at that point with sensor technology.

The image the OP wanted to print big will be limited by its overall sharpness. It doesn't look that sharp on my screen, it should look awful printed large. (No offense...)
I had that same feeling about it. It might go 16"x24". LR and Elements makes it easy to resize and export as a jpeg to those dimensions. Take a look at it 1:1 and see how it looks. great colors and composition, of course.
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
I personally have printed K-5 to 16x24" and was very happy with the results.

That said I also had prints from my *ist DS at the same size and was impressed. I think the folks doing the prints matter as much as the body behind the lens!

Please note that when I print I use photoshop to convert to the pixels required to produce 300dpi at the intended print size - so images were scaled up by me before going to the printer.
What dpi did you set it as? 300?
03-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This was an old thread. Since i last posted, I printed a 24"x 36" from the K5. It was taken on a tripod at ISO 80 for 10 seconds, It got accepted into 2 juried contests last year, and sold at the second one for $350, the price i put on it. It was taken with the 50-135 lens at 70mm, f11 and is very sharp. I had the impression from looking at it on LR, that it would print fine at 48".
03-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Great info. Just from my own guestimations, I've pretty much decided that up to 48 inches I'd use my K-5, if I ever need more than 48 inches, I'll have to consider a D800 and after 96 inches, MF. But, I'd really like to see a K-5 compared to a D800 image printed @ 96 inches. I'm not convinced that viewed from 4 feet how much difference there'd be. I'd like to see, it, but I don't want to pay to see it.
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I have a plan to make a large banner. So this would come out of a 64 inch printer. Can this be done? The banner would be hanging on a wall in a large sportsvenue, so looking at it would be from 50 feet on average. The 64 inch would be out off the 4928 pixels from the sensor (K-01) and then a few stitched together to make it a panoramalike print.
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
Pentaxian

From 50 foot viewing distance, you could easily print 72 DPI. 4928/72 = 68 inches, you're laughing.