Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just Really Enjoying My K5 New Set

Went out again today with my K5, and 55-300 lens. This camera gives me so much more room to get shots I would have otherwise lost. The dynamic range is a joy, and this little 55-300mm lens is the bomb. Really impressed how much detail it captures.

10-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ol' Otis ought to like those shots!

The K-5 is a joy alright...
10-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Ol' Otis ought to like those shots!

The K-5 is a joy alright...
Where's he been? Haven't heard from him lately
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #4

Glad it's working out for you, love the lizard shot, it's like he's a king and wearing a cape.

I'm coming up on 1000 shots on mine, and really liking it.
My wife is liking the kit 18-55/full auto/green mode mostly at this point, and I'm really liking the SMC-A 70-210mm F/4 and the 50mm f/1.7 SMC-A. It would be great if the K5 were able to detect/record the focal length on the older lenses, just to show where most of my images wind up being shot. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the K5 with the 70-210 has taken some nice sunset and low light outdoor shots, but can see something like the 55-300 in our future, as I've been 'banging both ends' within the same hour with the 70-210mm, wanting just a bit wider/shorter focal length, as well as more zoom. It's a tough call, without unlimited LBA funds - I may wind up going to something like a faster wide to normal lens to replace the kit lens, then saving some $$ for a faster zoom with more reach.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with the pictures taken to date, and glad you're enjoying yours!

10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Glad it's working out for you, love the lizard shot, it's like he's a king and wearing a cape.

I'm coming up on 1000 shots on mine, and really liking it.
My wife is liking the kit 18-55/full auto/green mode mostly at this point, and I'm really liking the SMC-A 70-210mm F/4 and the 50mm f/1.7 SMC-A. It would be great if the K5 were able to detect/record the focal length on the older lenses, just to show where most of my images wind up being shot. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the K5 with the 70-210 has taken some nice sunset and low light outdoor shots, but can see something like the 55-300 in our future, as I've been 'banging both ends' within the same hour with the 70-210mm, wanting just a bit wider/shorter focal length, as well as more zoom. It's a tough call, without unlimited LBA funds - I may wind up going to something like a faster wide to normal lens to replace the kit lens, then saving some $$ for a faster zoom with more reach.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with the pictures taken to date, and glad you're enjoying yours!
Tony - On the older lenses, upon turning on the camera it asks you to specify the focal length so that it can use it for SR, however it also uses that data to record it in the EXIF meta data on each of the images. Just remember to cycle power on the body when you change manual lenses, so that you can enter the new focal length. For zoom lenses just enter the max focal length on the lens. Now when you are less than the max focal length the entered focal length will be recorded. I guess you could put on the manual zoom, select the focus length you really want, then cycle power on the camera and when the focal length question comes up, put in the focal length that you have adjusted the zoom lens to.

Manual apertures are the information that is not recorded since the body is unable to read and transmit the aperture information to the camera. That is the information that is missing. The camera will default to f2.4 as the default aperture value recorded in the image.

10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Tony - On the older lenses, upon turning on the camera it asks you to specify the focal length so that it can use it for SR, however it also uses that data to record it in the EXIF meta data on each of the images. Just remember to cycle power on the body when you change manual lenses, so that you can enter the new focal length. For zoom lenses just enter the max focal length on the lens. Now when you are less than the max focal length the entered focal length will be recorded. I guess you could put on the manual zoom, select the focus length you really want, then cycle power on the camera and when the focal length question comes up, put in the focal length that you have adjusted the zoom lens to.

Manual apertures are the information that is not recorded since the body is unable to read and transmit the aperture information to the camera. That is the information that is missing. The camera will default to f2.4 as the default aperture value recorded in the image.

Sure - I'm not Tony, but that's the part that would have been nice - entering in the max focal distance is fine, but when I'm in between 70-210mm across a dozen shots, knowing the actual focal length is what I was saying 'would be nice.'
All of the images I was talking about (using A lenses) do indeed have proper aperture values (ring set to A), and the max focal length input recorded of 210mm.. it just doesn't give me much feedback/sanity check as to which end of the focal length I've been using most with that zoom. I know it can't read the lens manual settings, but hey, we can wish, right?
10-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend for Otis

Is it possible that we have found a new friend for Otis. Any idea of the sex of our new friend. Do I hear wedding bells? Honeymoon in the peanut forest. I expenct to receive my wedding invitation written on an acorn in the mail very soon.......

10-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #8

Wow nice shots.... I've been tinkering re the Pentax 55-300mm or the Sigma 120-400... those shots make me wonder...

very nice
10-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. The K5 really is such an excellent camera in everyway, it kind of scares me to think about Pentax putting a different sensor, maybe a different body into play at the upper end. Just fix the problem things. I just don't know how they can really top it in terms of image quality...
10-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just see "bandwidth exceeded"
10-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Where's he been? Haven't heard from him lately
I don't know... Maybe he's been on vacation?
10-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I don't know... Maybe he's been on vacation?
Banned by the Mod Squad. Don't ask.
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I told him...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I told him that the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" finds squirrels untrustworthy. I heard so on the radio. You don't want to piss off that dude. He will mess you up.
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't say!
10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope it is just a trip to the 5 minute penalty box.