Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Create a new user and login as such on the laptop. Does it look different? The color profiles are stored by user in windows7. If the situation improves when logged in as the new user open up the screen properties and view the color mgmt profiles used and compare them to the ones used under your login.
did this ^^, on the new user the the colors look just fine. So I can narrow it down to being my color profile??

10-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
mystery solved. I switched it back to pre calibrated days and the problem is gone. but uncalibrated. Now the question is, is my computer for some reason incompatible with the xrite i1Display2 or did I just get a bad one?!
10-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
mystery solved. I switched it back to pre calibrated days and the problem is gone. but uncalibrated. Now the question is, is my computer for some reason incompatible with the xrite i1Display2 or did I just get a bad one?!
Hi
My hunch would be your computer's graphics card is incompatible. What sort of graphics card is it? Can you open up the computer and identify it? Could it be a very old one? These calibration systems place a pretty high demand on the card. Once identified I would contact Xrite support and ask them if this card is supported.

Greetings
10-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
My hunch would be your computer's graphics card is incompatible. What sort of graphics card is it? Can you open up the computer and identify it? Could it be a very old one? These calibration systems place a pretty high demand on the card. Once identified I would contact Xrite support and ask them if this card is supported.
ugh. Yeah, the computer here is a few years old. We have updated memory, software etc, but never the graphics card. I have been looking for an excuse to get a new computer though, and this may be the straw that broke the camels back. I will have the husband investigate that. Thanks for all your help everyone!!

10-15-2011, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ugh. Yeah, the computer here is a few years old. We have updated memory, software etc, but never the graphics card. I have been looking for an excuse to get a new computer though, and this may be the straw that broke the camels back. I will have the husband investigate that. Thanks for all your help everyone!!
Hi
With most "over-the-counter" computers the graphics card is more often than not the least considered component and computer manufacturers often skimp on this. Unfortunately a very good card is pricy. For most users it does not matter but if you venture into colour calibrating you need to keep an eye on the graphics card. If you are new to all this calibtating and true colour reproduction it would, in my opinion, be a good move to contact Xrite and let them tell you what is required. Then arm yourself with this info and go shopping. You do not need to get the very best as long as the technical requirements are met. You will find there is quite a range to choose from.

Keep us posted if you have the time.

Greetings
10-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will absolutely talk with them. My brother in law is the Computer guy in the family. He does research on the computers he purchases from Dell, but unfortunately he doesn't know anything about photography and at the time of purchase I had just started in my digital photography ventures. Next time I will, as you say, be armed with the knowledge I need

I dont like that I have a lot of research and work ahead of me to resolve my color issues, but I am glad that we have this mystery pretty much figured out!
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will absolutely talk with them. My brother in law is the Computer guy in the family. He does research on the computers he purchases from Dell, but unfortunately he doesn't know anything about photography and at the time of purchase I had just started in my digital photography ventures. Next time I will, as you say, be armed with the knowledge I need

I dont like that I have a lot of research and work ahead of me to resolve my color issues, but I am glad that we have this mystery pretty much figured out!
Don't get discouraged though, taking the photos is just the beginning of the fun and taking it all the way to, dare I say print, and eventually framing it and drill a hole in the wall to hang the picture is the rewarding culmination of the journey. (At your next dinner party at home can hear already the laudatory oohs and aahs and "did you do that?")

Greetings, and all the best

10-16-2011, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you at least figured out the source. I've found sometimes just resetting back to square one gets things working again for me when I make changes that cause undesirable results.
The clue for me was that other machines showed the colors ok as did a third party tool but the imbedded viewer which relies on windows settings was off.
Don't have enough knowledge to advise you further but I wish you good shooting from here on out.

Last edited by crewl1; 10-16-2011 at 08:27 AM.