Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
starbase218; I'm actually surprised that you achieved focus lock on that picture: the blacks in the belly hatch is probably where it got focus confirmation??

10-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do struggle with the concept that the k5 has inferior AF to any equivalent model from any manufacturer at the present time.

I read all the 'reports' but they could be talking about a different camera to mine , It makes me wonder if there are not more faulty units ala SmeggyPants that people think is normal.

In my experience the K5 will focus in lower light than any current apsc DSLR and in AF-c will focus faster than at least the d7000 and about the same the the 7d.

Where it does need looking at is predictive AF (tracking erratic objects) and AF point size.

Here are to examples of AF-c and low(ish) light

Around 2EV but with a 1.4 lens (AF baseline only support f2.8) is actually EV1 for the AF system getting pretty close to off the scale for exposure metering.

Last edited by awaldram; 05-22-2014 at 04:20 AM.
10-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
starbase218; I'm actually surprised that you achieved focus lock on that picture: the blacks in the belly hatch is probably where it got focus confirmation??
I don't exactly remember. But I took a subsequent picture in which proper focus lock was achieved.
10-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I'm not worried in the slightest. Pentax have been going for many decades. They may not be as mainstream as Canikon but they are solid and perennial.

There's plenty of equipment that is both no longer manufactured and it's brand is no longer in existence that is commanding very healthy 2nd hand prices.

Stop worrying and enjoy snapping - The corporate world is a different zone to creative photography and mixing the two is only going to handicap your fun
Wise advice. I guess the very worst case would be Ricoh abandoning DSLR development completely. Even then, the K-5 body would remain as good, and there would always be a market for my Pentax-mount lenses if I decided to move to another brand.

Jeff

10-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I do struggle with the concept that the k5 has inferior AF to any equivalent model from any manufacturer at the present time...

In my experience the K5 will focus in lower light than any current apsc DSLR and in AF-c will focus faster than at least the d7000 and about the same the the 7d.
I have a Fuji X100. Some owners complain that it will not focus in very low light. Others, myself included, say that the camera focuses well in low light. I've used mine at ISO 6400, 1/10, and f/2 without the AF assist lamp and have gotten good results.

There is a similar difference of opinion and experience regarding the K-5's AF. Given that it is working well for you and many others, I am going to take it off my list of concerns.

To add some perspective, there have been reports of problems with the D7000's AF.

Jeff