Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Thanks. Good to know. I think I'm going to keep some gaffer tape over mine, just for the hell of it. I like gaffer tape. Adds character.
Heh. I'm all for character. Tape would match my jury rigged hook gizmo for the Black Rapid strap. Whatever works.

11-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade to K-5. The price now is moreless affordable however, I am not sure if that superior camera is safe to buy? I mean my K200D is great camera, which brings some stunning quality images (hint:RAW), handles quite well (with grip) however, high ISO looks a bit sad and AF in lower lights sounds even more sad. Nevertheless it never let me down and works as promised without freezing, BF/FF etc. The new K-5 should be better in every aspect therefore I am concerned:
- How about AF in lower light? Recently I started shooting at night club and K200d totally refused to focus (the club is dark, however some colorful light appears from time to time) or tried it to do for few seconds. You know, it feels kinda stupid when you see some peopke smiling at you and wishing to have the best picture in the world and you are still waiting and sweating while your camera does adjusments or just gives up and nothing happens. So believe it or not, I managed to do MF and get sharp pics but thats another story. So can i expect K-5 to be faster in low light?
-How about dozen of problems including stains, BF/FF in various light resources, weird sounds and screen behaviour and so on? Is it just a lottery?

I expect K-5 to work no worse than entry level K200D (read:work well). I need a camera which I can trust. Not to be afraid of shaking sensor or falling buttons. Can K-5 live up with my expectations?
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about focusing -- focusing precisely in low light is going to be hard no matter what, although the assist light can help once it's dark enough for it to come on, however it can be extremely annoying to people you aim it at. I had to turn mine off.

Once approach might be to maximize your DOF as much as possible, not worry about precise focus (perhaps focus manually so the thing doesn't waste time hunting) and hope "in acceptable focus" turns out to be acceptable enough. The high ISO capability and amazing dynamic range of the camera let you have your cake and eat it too in regard to small apertures and high shutter speeds (if you need high shutter speeds.)
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, tomorrow I am going to buy K-5 and still I am bit worried about all these issues.