Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

New K5! How to test for stains and other potential ills?

I recently bought a K5 and have been shooting with it for a couple weeks. No problems. I love the handling and the images so far. However, I am a photo-enthusiast at best and don't necessarily know how to test for some of the problems people have had with it.

Before I have the camera too much longer, can someone tell me how exactly to test for potential sensor stains or anything else that I should be concernd about? I know there have been complaints of AF hunting in low-light, which I've had no problems with.

My understanding regarding the stains is to use a very narrow aperture (i.e. f/22) and shoot against a solid color (light or dark, I'm not sure).

I'd rather this not turn into another opportunity for haters and supporters to battle out whether this camera is crap or the best DSLR ever made, I'm just looking for some help to protect my investment. I shot my financial-wad and then some on this camera

Thanks for your advice!

10-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, just shoot a picture of the sky at F22. Odds that your camera has stains are very low, but it's worth checking I guess.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
check the serial number database, it will help you to see "how old" is your camera, and if its belong to the "stain" serie or not.
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
check the serial number database, it will help you to see "how old" is your camera, and if its belong to the "stain" serie or not.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, just shoot a picture of the sky at F22. Odds that your camera has stains are very low, but it's worth checking I guess.

Thank you guys and I'll do both when I get home.

Is there anything else beside the stain that I should be testing for?

10-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Keep in mind...

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
I recently bought a K5 and have been shooting with it for a couple weeks. No problems. I love the handling and the images so far. However, I am a photo-enthusiast at best and don't necessarily know how to test for some of the problems people have had with it.

Before I have the camera too much longer, can someone tell me how exactly to test for potential sensor stains or anything else that I should be concernd about? I know there have been complaints of AF hunting in low-light, which I've had no problems with.

My understanding regarding the stains is to use a very narrow aperture (i.e. f/22) and shoot against a solid color (light or dark, I'm not sure).

I'd rather this not turn into another opportunity for haters and supporters to battle out whether this camera is crap or the best DSLR ever made, I'm just looking for some help to protect my investment. I shot my financial-wad and then some on this camera

Thanks for your advice!
You might want to keep in mind that (at least according to the most knowledgible people here, "not me") sensor stains are burned between layer coatings on the sensor. They may take time to show up depending on how hot your sensor gets. Using Live View and shooting video heats the sensor up more than anything else. It might be worthwhile to periodically check for stains through out the length of your warranty. Just saying, yo.
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Better, get the manufacturing date from the camera itself, or it's pictures, using a tool such as photome, exiftool, or other software to get the full exif data from an image taken with the camera..
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Just as a heads up regarding sensor stains, we are seeing reports of stains showing up on recent builds that were supposed to be post stain cameras, so I wouldn't depend on the build date as an assurance of a clean bill of health.

10-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Good point, Wheatfield, thanks.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the feedback.

Beyond the stains, is there anything else in particular I should be testing for that people have had issues with?
10-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Your best "test" is to go out and use your camera.
10-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
I realize that, thanks. My only point of this thread was that I may not have the keenest eye to notice irregularities off the bat (since I'm not as experienced as others here), so if anyone had specific things to look for (given the list of issues people have had with this camera), it'd be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I don't seem to have the AF hunting in low light; I will test for the stains; but not sure if there's anything else specifically to look for. Maybe there isn't and that's fine.

Everything seems great with my K5 so I'm happy. I'll go on my merry way unless anything seems "off" with it going forward. Thanks,
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My lens relase button fell off (camera was about 6 weeks old) however it gave me no indication before that happened not sure how to check for that. A friend had the mirror lock up when he used the battery grip (an OEM version not Pentax) when he was using double A batteries and the voltage got low - so if that applies to you (an OEM battery grip using double A's ) then you can check. To fix that issue power off and on - evntaully he just stopped using the grip problme solved.

The best advice was already given "use it" flaws (if there are any) will appear.
10-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #12

maybe, we, the photo enthusiasts, need not worry about the stains cause we don't pixel peep as much as the pros around here :-)
just saying...
10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
My lens relase button fell off (camera was about 6 weeks old)
If that happens when a lens is on the camera, is there a safe way to get the lens off again, short of servicing?
10-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
If that happens when a lens is on the camera, is there a safe way to get the lens off again, short of servicing?
You should be able to use a pen or something similar to depress the internal mechanism - there isn't much to the lens release button, it's just a piece of plastic with a circlip stopping it from coming out of the body, until/if the circlip breaks or pops off..
10-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
You should be able to use a pen or something similar to depress the internal mechanism
Thanks. Good to know. I think I'm going to keep some gaffer tape over mine, just for the hell of it. I like gaffer tape. Adds character.