Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried a flash modified in this way on other bodies such as the K3 and K7? The Viltrox ring flash works fine on me K7, but not on the K5. I would hate to make a modification which prevented the flash from working on a possible K3 or later model.

08-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just went and bought some 1K Ohm resistors and some heat shrink, but when I took the base off the flash it looks different to any of the other photos here. The base has a plug in connector instead of being wired and soldered to the board.

I think I should cut the lower of the two wires (both are grey, which doesn't help) because on the PCB it says "GND" near the top wire, so I presume that is the earth wire, and the resistor needs to be series with the signal wire. Suggestions please? I'm also going to install the latest firmware in the K5iis to see if it makes a difference. It's annoying that the flash works with the K7 and K200 but not the K5iis.
The flash is a JY670 ring flash.

---------- Post added 23-08-14 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm also going to install the latest firmware in the K5iis to see if it makes a difference. It's annoying that the flash works with the K7 and K200 but not the K5iis.
The 1.07 firmware made no difference. I did learn something however; if I manually fire the flash using the "Pilot" button, the K5iis is then able to trigger the flash without cycling the power on either the camera or flash. It wastes a lot of battery power firing the flash twice for every photo, but it's less hassle than cycling the power. Going back to my earlier question - has anyone tried the flash with the 1Kohm modification on a K3? I don't really want to modify the flash if it's going to work unmodified on the next camera.
08-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have two yn560 with metal foot about two years old and two k5 bodies on the latest firmware and have no problem with repeated flashes
08-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I have two yn560 with metal foot about two years old and two k5 bodies on the latest firmware and have no problem with repeated flashes
Maybe the problem is unique to the K5ii or in my case the K5iis. I used the flash today on both the K200D (worked normally) and K5iis (I had to fire the flash manually to reset it before taking another shot).

08-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Maybe the problem is unique to the K5ii or in my case the K5iis. I used the flash today on both the K200D (worked normally) and K5iis (I had to fire the flash manually to reset it before taking another shot).
Dont think so I also have a K5IIs on latest firmware and also have no problem with the YN560 not flashing on every shutter press. there is a delay while the flash recharges the length of which depends on the power setting and the battery state of course.
08-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Dont think so I also have a K5IIs on latest firmware and also have no problem with the YN560 not flashing on every shutter press. there is a delay while the flash recharges the length of which depends on the power setting and the battery state of course.
OK, there must be a difference between the version of the flash you have and the one I have.
08-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Must be the reason I guess, I' m sorry I don't know what to suggest other than asking YN for a suggestion, I did contact them directly once and the response was good, I will look later and post what I can find on my flashes re models and serial numbers I still have the original packaging, perhaps that will be of assistance.

edit:-

the box bar code reads 6947110910260 and the serial numbers are YN 12845845 / 52

The mount is metal plate with large rubber pad around centre pin which is oblong shaped with a corner cut off.

regards
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 08-25-2014 at 02:35 AM.
08-25-2014, 03:33 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

the box bar code reads 6947110910260 and the serial numbers are YN 12845845 / 52
The mount is metal plate with large rubber pad around centre pin which is oblong shaped with a corner cut off.
The mount sounds the same. The serial number on mine is 1209004365. Are you possibly missing a zero after the 2?
08-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

pictures attached
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ah, it's a different flash by the same manufacturer. Mine is the ring flash.
09-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #41
Forum Member

I know this thread is old but the topic is not. It is been brought up in at least two other threads. And the problem continues with the K-3 and the K3ii.

This Little guy was originally intended for much older flashes that had super high voltage triggering. But when placed on the hot shoe it will solve the problem that we all are having, it is not ideal but it is a OK workaround for those afraid to solder or who's modifications have not worked so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G47I7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I have no relationship with Amazon or the company that makes this thing but I do have three pentaxes and two of them will not work with my ringflash.

Strangely enough my K5 iis version 1.07 works fine. k3 and K3ii are a no go with the JY ring flash.
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #42

I don't own a Pentax but found this thread because my Yongnuo 560iv was freezing after the first flash too, on my Sony and cannon cameras. I went to function mode and changed rf603 to rf602 and now mine fires constantly. I'm using a Sony a7sii with modified rf603c triggers. Not sure if this will be of any help to others but I thought I'd post just in case.
09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tx0h Quote
hi,

solder a 1k Ohm resistor
between trigger / middle
contact and flash mainboard
connector.

in the picture:
Resistor Color Code:
brown black black brown
with 1% tolerance (brown)

please send fail or succeed
stories.

thanks,
tx0h

warning, this will break the warranty and may damage equipment, this is a standard disclaimer and you really can't blame me if somethings get broken.
Hello:
I also had the problem of freezing, of my flash Yongnuo YN-560 when placing it in the shoe of my PentaX K5-II.
Luckily I fell on this page and I could find the solution to the problem, I have soldered the resistance of 1 Koh and for now, after several tests, everything works correctly.
A few days ago I contacted Yongnuo to explain the problem and although they were very kind, they could not give me another solution other than to open the battery compartment and close it again, which is not exactly a solution.
Thank you all for the contributions that have led to finding a solution.

I would also like to know, if those who have soldered the resistor, have encountered some problem of operation of the flash unit or the camera.

Thank you and have a good day.