Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5/DA 18-135mm State Fair

I ordered a new Pentax DA 18-135mm, came in just in time to for Friday's trip to the Texas State Fair.

I read all the reviews but, decided in the end, the reason I purchased the K5 was it's weather resistance capability. My current walk around lens the DA17-70 wasn't sealed, and for some reason just is not locking on 100% of the time at the 70mm range just wasn't cutting it ( it's going in for service).

I, grabbed a few shots with K5/ 18-135 seems very nice but it does have some of the discrepancies others have mentioned. The lens is probably going back. Primarily for the poor resolution at 135mm, at the edges it is very very noticeable, I will probably just request another. These re-sized images don't show the anomalies with the lens but trust me they are their. The contrast on this lens is very nice again the re-sized images have muted the contrast ?. Also, it refused to focus multiple times throughout it's range at different focal lengths, I composed the shot, re-zoom pressed shutter button and it would then focus.
I definitely like the K5/18-135 combo great versatility.

Last edited by texbaz; 10-16-2011 at 10:10 AM.
10-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It certainly passes the color test great, bright colors on these. Sorry to hear the lens isn't quite right this time, hope the next go-round gets it right.
10-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, really nice color, contrast. I actually think the contrast kinda gives it the illusion that things are sharper than they really are at distance. It most likely helps to camouflage the reported softness at the edges. Of course I purchased from one of this sites support Vendors so, with their generous return policy I'm not looking forward to getting this one replaced but it is part of their satisfaction guarantee. This lens makes my DA17-70 images look dull. Thanks Jim
10-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #4

Love the giant wheel, by filling the frame with it, there is a real sense of size. You've managed to also capture vthe spirit of the fair with som elovely colours as well. Thanks for sharing.

Woody