Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Making sense of repair note details

HI All

I've recently posted (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/162641-repaired-k5-viewfinder-dust.html)having had my K5 returned from the UK service centre.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on the repair note that was returned along with the camera, which reads:

REPLACED SHUTTER BLOCK - MIRROR MOTOR ASSY - BO FPC - GENERAL CLEAN, CHECK AND TEST

Now obviously I'm fine with the general clean, check and test (though I'm not convinced about the clean being as I have dust stuck in the viewfinder!)

But, I've got a couple of questions which I thought someone might be able to help out with regarding the other things:

1 - Can anyone tell me what BO FPC means (can't find anything on Google). I can find the following on the forums: PCB - printed circuit board
FPC - Flexible PCB, but not sure what BO stands for!

2 - Can anyone tell me what effect the 'replaced shutter block' would have on shutter count for the camea? Would it reset it? I've checked photos taken since having the camera back and the shutter count carries on from where it left off. I'd have assumed that a 'replaced shutter block' would reset the count, but I guess i'm wrong?!

If anyone has any clues then I'd love to hear them

Thanks in advance, and happy shooting to all :-)

Sam

Last edited by toothpick; 10-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2

as fas as i know is BO-FPC some part of the wiring which connectes the Sensor and the SR-mechnaism to the "Mainboard", maybe you cant replace the Shutter Block without damage to this wiring.
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Shutter count should be stored with the other data and firmware, in whatever non-volatile memory the camera has. It wouldn't be in the physical shutter mechanism. I don't know of a way to reset it.
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would ask the people who did the service.

10-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FPC usually stands for flat printed circuit and refers to a cable type. In a lot of repair manuals they have workers replace these 'flex circuit cables' whenever the item is disassembled (like replacing a gasket in a car even if the gasket isn't the problem) because they can be pretty intricate and fragile or have adhesive on them that would need to be replaced. It's probably the flex circuit between the main board and the shutter block/motor assembly.

shutter count would definitely be stored on the main board rather than in the shutter module, since the shutter module is probably mostly mechanical. Sort of like replacing the engine in your car doesn't make the odometer reset.
10-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Everyone - thanks for your replies. My reading around has suggested the same - that the shutter count would not be reset, so hopefully all is as it should be!

Now to give the camera a good test to make sure everything else is as it should be!

Cheers
Sam