Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
Whichever way you slice it, your way or Wheatfield's way, the end result is Pentax quality sucks, no argument there. We may agree to disagree on the legal or practical viewpoints, but I guess we have a consensus that in the long run Pentax has proven their worth in QC and QoS.
It is true that the resale value of Pentax cameras drop like a brick, easy to verify in the forum marketplace.
I think you'll find this is true of all manufacturers though. Digital SLRs are, unfortunately, almost a disposable commodity in that to many users, once the newest camera comes out, last years camera is like yesterday's newspaper.

QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
It looks more like design defect than QC. If QC would have discarded all these defective units, what would be left to sell? Pentax has a very miniscule market share compared to the competition. There are not a whole lot of Pentax cameras out there. If this forum is a good representation of current Pentax users, looking at all the defects that are reported by the members here - it seems a large fraction of Pentax's products have some kind of defect. I doubt effective QC would be able to fix this without making the brand further unpopular due to supply shortage and increased selling prices.
I can see why this brand is so unpopular with consumers and professionals.
Personally, I think they did a pretty good job of designing the K5, but component implementation is very poor. Looking at almost all of the problems the camera has, I'm not seeing all that many design flaws, but I am seeing a lot of component failures. I really think Hoya bought every component from the lowest possible bidder, and got really sloppy with the build.

To be fair to the brand, the K5 is the first camera they've made that has been this fraught with problems. Pentax actually has a very good track record with reliability. Their lack of "popularity" certainly can be traced back to places where they have dropped the ball, but product quality isn't one of them (at least not recently).

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
So...after Don's Photo going to bat for me....Pentax Canada will now replace the main circuit board of my original camera, which I can only assume, will fix the issues that it had. I really don't know why they didn't do this in the first place. If they could replace the demo units circuit board, why didn't they do mine? Oh well, at least I'll get my camera back. I know how it's been treated, as opposed to the other one. Thanks everyone for your input. And please, lets all be nice to each other!
Gotta love Don's Photo. They truly are the best camera retailer on the planet.
Let's hope they get this sorted out for you. It sounds like the K5 has given you a pretty rough ride so far.