Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just Pulled the Trigger

I just ordered a K5 from Henry's here in Canada and I’m pretty excited. That's the good news. The bad news it’s going to take about six weeks for delivery. Is this some sort of tsunami related thing? Anyone else experiencing, what seems to me, an unusually long delivery time?

Tom G

10-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations, Tom but, yeah--6 weeks? Come to think of it, that's about how long it took for B&H to deliver my Sigma lens (and there were some unusual conditions in place as well). Combining this with the with the reports of slow repairs due to parts availability issues, I'm thinking that these are symptoms of a slowdown in global trade. First, to save on shipping, companies are going to slow-mode big batches. Perhaps more importantly, supplier/distributor payment terms have been tightened.
10-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
were they back-ordered? Keep us updated on whey they finally give you a tracking number and where the shipment originates from.
10-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you should be glad if it is not "old" or recycled stock lying around on a Canadian shelve somewhere, but a brand new, fresh off the line faultless product!. I know I would rather wait that long if it might prevent any reason to send it in for repairs a few times

10-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave,

I think you’re correct on the shipping issue. The clerk said Henry’s would probably order a pallet of k5s to get a better price point and lower shipping costs. Perhaps the K5 is just selling very well and Pentax is having trouble meeting the demand. Hope I have it by Christmas.

Tom G
10-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Dave,

I think you’re correct on the shipping issue. The clerk said Henry’s would probably order a pallet of k5s to get a better price point and lower shipping costs. Perhaps the K5 is just selling very well and Pentax is having trouble meeting the demand. Hope I have it by Christmas.

Tom G
I was thinking about the same thing... I noticed that downtowncamera store has the price a tad lower than Henrys, may be I will try if they can price match or go directly to that store. Sounds like Henrys have cleared the stock during the recent photo & Image expos show, which is a good sign. As long as you get a new one and not the one that is used for demo purposes, you should be good. Enjoy! whenever you get it.
10-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not in my experience:
1) Called Henrys on Monday 18-10-2011,
2) Got a shipping notice 19-10-2011,
3) Got the camera on 20-10-2011, serial # 4144xxx, battery manuf date 07-2011 (after my neighbour dropped it off it in since it got mis-delivered ). Took some night pics @ ISO 12800, 50mm f1.2 at 1/2000 sec shutter speed ... impressive little cam).

Give them a call and complain.

I just ordered a K5 from Henry's here in Canada and I’m pretty excited. That's the good news. The bad news it’s going to take about six weeks for delivery. Is this some sort of tsunami related thing? Anyone else experiencing, what seems to me, an unusually long delivery time?

Tom G

Last edited by photocanadian; 10-20-2011 at 08:32 AM.
10-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Not in my experience:
1) Called Henrys on Monday 18-10-2011,
2) Got a shipping notice 19-10-2011,
3) Got the camera on 20-10-2011, serial # 4144xxx, battery manuf date 07-2011 (after my neighbour dropped it off it in since it got mis-delivered ). Took some night pics @ ISO 12800, 50mm f1.2 at 1/2000 sec shutter speed ... impressive little cam).

Give them a call and complain.
I'll look into it Mike.

Tom G
10-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #9

Tom G
Hi Tom, after seeing this I checked with the Henry's Barrie store on my k5 which was ordered on the 17th. As of yesterday (22nd) Henry's have a lot of K5 backorders to fill. Reading betwen the lines tells me Pentax Canada has exhausted their stock and are awaiting a new shipment. It does indeed look as if we will be waiting awhile.

Dave
10-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave,

I suspect you are correct.

Then again, maybe the delay is due to Pentax paying special attention to quality control with this batch.

Could be.

Tom G
10-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon has them in stock (fulfilled by Emmy Camera) and ready to ship at $1,139 with free shipping. Sounds like Henry's may not be the best deal around.
10-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Amazon has them in stock (fulfilled by Emmy Camera) and ready to ship at $1,139 with free shipping. Sounds like Henry's may not be the best deal around.

Possibly,

For non-Canadians Henry's is an old time bricks and mortar camera chain here in Canada. They carry all the major brands and have a knowledgeable staff. To be honest the Pentax brand is stuck in the corner here in Waterloo but they at least had a K5 demo for me to play around with. Their prices are usually a bit higher than other places but you do get good service. The price in the case of my K5 was a few dollars less than the Amazon price you quoted above. It also comes with a two year Pentax warranty. So it looks like a fair price if you don't count the six-week wait for delivery.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-13-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
10-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #13

Have new K5 in hand, thank you Henry's.
10-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K5 has arrived

Nice surprise yesterday. The K 5 I was told would take 6 weeks to get arrived in less than a week.

Let the games begin.

Tom G
10-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought an ostensibly new K5 from B&H in person at their store here in NYC just this past Thursday. It turned out not to be new; it was apparently a return (or a demo that got retired fast because it was a poor copy.) I hope that was a fluke, and not a sign that one way that stores (or Pentax USA?) may be addressing these availability issues might be "recycling" (without refurbishment, fair warning and reasonable discounts) used, sub-par cameras (whatever "par" is for the K-5 nowadays) I also wonder whether Pentax may be under pressure to cut corners on the assembly lines. Which means more returns and repairs...

People have been waiting obscenely long times for repairs also. At this point, I'm really not sure I want a replacement (which I'll have to insist on checking thoroughly in the store, and cross my fingers) or a refund, and spend the money on glass, or put it toward another Pentax body in the future, or jump ship to another brand. It really was too soon to upgrade from my K-7 anyway.