Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

AEL with shutter button using manual lenses?

hi,

I set the function to save the exposure when the AF is set.
So when I half press the shutter, I want the exposure to be saved too, as long as the shutter is half pressed.

my workflow: point the AE spot on the desired exposure target, half press, recompose and focus (manually) and then shoot.
this works on my D700, but the K5 doesn't save the exposure with a manual lens in use.

is there anything else I need to set? and don't tell me I need to use the AEL button, this kills the whole camera for me

thanks

10-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You want to try the green button for a manual lens. I have adaptall pk adapters, and run in M mode. The aperture is stepped down when the green button is pressed, the shutter speed is adjusted for exposure. I can change the iso to get faster or slower shutter speed, and of course the aperture ring on the lens. There are some differences in behavior and features available with different types of manual lenses and mounts.

There is a thread that explains it all. If you search the forums for your mount type and exposure, something will come up describing how it works.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...ml#post1140019
10-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh, yes, I know that, thanks.
But I am talking about an A-type lens and the fact that it does no exposure lock with the shutter button, only with the AEL button.
10-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will M-mode and green button not give you AEL on a A-lens? Only problem is that that green button is at a stupid place on a K5 (in my not so humble opinion )

10-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
oh, yes, I know that, thanks.
But I am talking about an A-type lens and the fact that it does no exposure lock with the shutter button, only with the AEL button.
But the AE-L - AF lock is intended to lock the exposure with Auto Focus (point). Your best bet in this situation is to press the AE-L button when you have your desired exposure. It will remain active as long as the meter does. I have mine set to stay active 30 seconds (the maximum). That, or switch to Manual and just dial in your exposure. If you use the Optical Preview with M mode, it will activate the meter and you can make your setting that way. Then you can just shoot with the same settings from shot to shot until you decide to change it. Even then, with an A lens, if you hit the AE-L before changing anything it will retain the EV and change one parameter to suit changes to the other. Quite a handy feature IMO.

The location of the green button has never bothered me but probably because I never got use to using it on previous cameras. Both my K10d and K20d's were shipped out of here with Mint condition green buttons. So was the K7 for the most part. On the K5 however, I do use it quite freely.

10-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The location of the green button has never bothered me but probably because I never got use to using it on previous cameras. Both my K10d and K20d's were shipped out of here with Mint condition green buttons. So was the K7 for the most part. On the K5 however, I do use it quite freely.
I keep on poking myself in the eye when I use it; or activate LV Maybe I should try the optical preview instead (never tried for that purpose).
10-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks JeffJS, I feared that, and it is a silly restriction to only lock exposure with an AF lens...kills my workflow with manual lenses a bit...oh my

10-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I keep on poking myself in the eye when I use it; or activate LV Maybe I should try the optical preview instead (never tried for that purpose).
It's actually about where my thumb rests on the back of the camera so I'm use to keeping it away from my eye

QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
Thanks JeffJS, I feared that, and it is a silly restriction to only lock exposure with an AF lens...kills my workflow with manual lenses a bit...oh my
I don't know it for a fact, it's just a guess but I imagine the manual might address what features work with certain types of lenses.

10-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't know it for a fact, it's just a guess but I imagine the manual might address what features work with certain types of lenses.
thanks, the manual does not mention it explicitely. Maybe I write an email to Pentax
11-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Hi,

Did you get any response from Pentax?
I used to lock exposure like that on my Contax and would like to do it with my K-5 as well…

Cheers,
Ricardo