Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness

I've noticed in the EXIF data of many photos on Flickr that the Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness are often at high, hard, etc.

Is this something you often change in-camera? I've been under the impression that, if shooting raw, it's better to make these adjustments in post.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Somewhat related: what is your default Image Finishing Tone (i.e. bright, natural, portrait, etc.) and why? Do you leave it on the camera's default of "bright" unless the specific scene calls for something different?

10-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, these settings can be changed in-camera. Look in your manual under Custom Image. On my K20D, I press the Function button, then the OK button, and that takes me to the Portrait-Landscape-Vivid-B&W settings, where I can change contrast-sharpness-saturation-hue for each. I usually use either Vivid or B&W. Depending on the quality of light, I may change their Contrast settings.

But I also shoot RAW-only. These settings carry into the RAW developer as defaults that I tweak as needed, so I'm not stuck with JPGs with those settings locked-down. If you shoot JPG-only, you should pay close attention to the settings, adjusting them till you get what you like. If you shoot RAW, then don't sweat it.
10-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, these settings can be changed in-camera. Look in your manual under Custom Image. On my K20D, I press the Function button, then the OK button, and that takes me to the Portrait-Landscape-Vivid-B&W settings, where I can change contrast-sharpness-saturation-hue for each. I usually use either Vivid or B&W. Depending on the quality of light, I may change their Contrast settings.

But I also shoot RAW-only. These settings carry into the RAW developer as defaults that I tweak as needed, so I'm not stuck with JPGs with those settings locked-down. If you shoot JPG-only, you should pay close attention to the settings, adjusting them till you get what you like. If you shoot RAW, then don't sweat it.
Thanks, I guess that's what I was getting at: whether or not I need to worry about altering contrast, sharpness, etc. in-camera if I'm shooting in raw.

I almost always adjust contrast, saturation, etc. in post but my EXIF data always stays as "normal", so my assumption is people are making these changes in-camera.

I know how to make the changes in-camera. Just not sure if it's "better" to adjust them later. From what I understand, for example with mono-chrome, to shoot the image in raw-color and make the b&w conversion later in post processing.
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
I know how to make the changes in-camera. Just not sure if it's "better" to adjust them later. From what I understand, for example with mono-chrome, to shoot the image in raw-color and make the b&w conversion later in post processing.
I'll often shoot with Custom Image set to B&W, and some filtering and qualities set. Then in RAW development, I'll try different filtration and qualities, and maybe generate color images too, all of which will get different treatment in PP. They're all just grist for the mill, raw materials to feed to the shooping machine.