Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
3) While the D7000 has dual SD slots, there is no automatic roll over from one to the other when it comes to video, so there is no point to it having dual SD slots.
4) While the D7000 has two control wheels, you don't get the cool "Hypermode" that Pentax has, nor do you have as many options to program what those wheels do.
5) There is no memory function on the D7000 that remembers where on the menu you were last - like the Pentax.
6) The Nikon has a reverse way of taking off lenses that is not an easy one handed operation since cameras are designed for right-handed shutter buttons. With the Pentax, you don't have to move your right hand, as your right hand can operate the lens release button while the left hand can take the lens off.

Those are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
It is good to know that the D7k doesn't do all those that we took it for granted even in my k-7..

on point 3) I never find the dual SD slot to be useful for my usage; but then, if it is, I would prefer the second SD slot to be integrated in the grip instead of the main body.
on point 4) I handled once a D300s from a friend and try dismounting/mounting a lens and found it odd and awkward. I figure it must be me only...

10-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really tried to like my husband's D7000, but alas, the K5 is a better machine. Of course, I'm a die hard Pentaxian on a Pentax forum.
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and this is what I shoot with my K5

I won't bore you with Part 1 and 2, but they are also out there.

Watch in 1080p or 720p - and the sound turned up!

10-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just shot a dance in near dark on the K-5, and it was pretty effortless. Some motion blurs, but hardly a focus miss.

10-27-2011, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Gorgeous video, Lauren!
10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh, and this is what I shoot with my K5

My Search for Permanence - Part 3 - YouTube

I won't bore you with Part 1 and 2, but they are also out there.

Watch in 1080p or 720p - and the sound turned up!

Wow! I did not even know ppl went thru the all the work to get such nice videos done. Great video!
10-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

TS,

K5 AF is much better than K20. Very little hesitation in AF compared to cameras before it. (I used a K7 and K100D before it)
You can also set shutter release priority before focus lock, so that if you think the camera has focused within the ball park of correct focus, but the camera has not locked focus, you can still take the shot.

I've shot 2 wedding events (one in a church; one outdoors+home) and 1 dinner (low lights), against the likes of A700; D7000; D700. The K5 o/p easily matched any of these cameras. In fact I was surprised that the K5 had more in focus or better focused shots that the above mentioned cameras.

10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the praise. I just wanted to show what CAN be done with Pentax. The K5 is the real deal. Hands down, an awesome tool for pictures and video.
10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I'm just curious, what lens would you use in that situation?
I don't have the 50-135, I have the Sigma 50-150/2.8 instead and that is a faster focusing lens (HSM). However the Sigma 30/1.4 would probably be more suitable if I was close enough to the action. Another approach could be to use a lens that can put everything in focus - my Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 is a MF lens but at f8 everything from 3 metres onwards is in focus (however this is my 'landscape' lens and f8 would mean a horrendous bump in ISO, but OK if you have the light). Finally probably your best option would be f8 upwards and diffused flash, with your favourite lens, if permitted.
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #25
Forum Member

Thanks for the praise. I just wanted to show what CAN be done with Pentax. The K5 is the real deal. Hands down, an awesome tool for pictures and video.
Lauren - beautiful video - thanks for the inspiration! Was your K-5 hand held when you shot those scenes? And how did you achieve that great depth of field and solid focus?

I have had my K-5 for only three days now and I just started shooting with it last night. No videos yet, but I should be trying that here in the next couple of days. I was on the fence for a long time and the D7000 was obviously one of my main alternatives. I hesitated because of the reported problems with the K-5, but I am starting to suspect that this machine is indeed a keeper. When I put it down a few minutes ago I thought - even if I have problems with this camera and have to send it in for service, I want to keep this camera for a really long time. So much to learn and so much to explore!
10-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the information. What would really be helpful is some pictures in low light of moving objects. People dancing, moving, sporting events, etc. Just so I can see a few samples (if you're willing to provide them of course).
10-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

i've been able to shoot this on a k-x and the k-5 is clearly a step up from that body.
10-28-2011, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
Was your K-5 hand held when you shot those scenes?
Those were mostly slider scenes, with a bit of panning.

With video, movement is pretty important...here's a video done using a slider and a cell phone for example:
Behold the video recording power of the Galaxy Nexus! | Android and Me

DOF was pretty wide, so it's mostly a question of having enough light. Narrow DOF and doing focus pulls is a lot harder with video...

Nice job, Lauren
10-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
Lauren - beautiful video - thanks for the inspiration! Was your K-5 hand held when you shot those scenes? And how did you achieve that great depth of field and solid focus?

I have had my K-5 for only three days now and I just started shooting with it last night. No videos yet, but I should be trying that here in the next couple of days. I was on the fence for a long time and the D7000 was obviously one of my main alternatives. I hesitated because of the reported problems with the K-5, but I am starting to suspect that this machine is indeed a keeper. When I put it down a few minutes ago I thought - even if I have problems with this camera and have to send it in for service, I want to keep this camera for a really long time. So much to learn and so much to explore!
Thanks.
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is the setup I used for many of the shots

As a tool, and in keeping with this thread as to what is a better choice, when the camera is on the slider, it is VERY easy to turn the camera on and off with the Pentax remote cable. When we placed my husband's D7000 on the slider, you had to touch the camera and slide it at the same time. It was very awkward.

A TOTAL deal breaker in terms of ease of use.

Also, the setup in the above image, and in the videos, many times I am sitting low on the stool you see in the picture above. I have to be able to quickly take lenses off and on. Sometimes I am sitting in a field with sheep-sh*t, and the Pentax is easier to work with in extreme environments.

As for focus, because of the awesome range of sensitivity, the K5 can make great video in manual aperature mode so that depth of field can be maintained. The K5 has both the ability to set the aperature in video or make it auto. Either way, you can move the action dials to compensate for the sensitiviy independant of the aperature.

Obvliously I have a ton of photographs to go with the videos I take.

Sadly, because the K5 is so good at video, I have no more space in my camera bag for my 645 film camera. I can't go out and NOT take video with the K5.
10-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
Forum Member

Thanks Lauren - I am the guilty party as far as thread jacking - but your video is so cool that I just had to know more.

And we did work in some comments about things that the K-5 excels at compared to the D7000.