Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 or Nikon D7000

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on this site. I have a question for the Pentax K-5 users out there. I currently have a K20d with a Pentax 50-135 2.8 lens and a Tamron 18-55 2.8 lens. The one thing I really hate about this camera is the amount of time it takes for the AF to focus and the fact that the photos are rarely in focus (especially in low light). I'm going to be in the market next year for a new camera just for this reason. I'm concidering the K-5 but I don't want to invest in this camera body if I'm going to have the same issues. I'm also concidering a Nikon d7000 since the AF system is great...I saw a guy shooting at a swing dance event and was just clicking away all night. He wasn't even looking though the view finder just shooting. The majority of the shots were coming out crisp and the focus was where it should be. It is good to note this was in a low light environment and with swing dancing, people are always moving.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if I should invest in a K-5 (since I have lenses for it) or move to Nikon?

Please no bashers, I'm just looking for honest opinions.

10-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Hi,

There was a recent post of someone who I believe bought a K5 after having the D7000. I don't remember exact details, but he seemed to be happy with the K5 performance. Should be able to locate it via forum or google search for PF..
10-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look here, here, and here. Many more threads than the ones I listed, but that should get you started. It seems to be a question that comes up every so often.
10-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I looked closely at both bodies (as well as the 60D) and either should make someone happy.

But the real issue here is if you cant get a sharp shot from a k20d there is a fixable problem somewhere since thousands of us are getting sharp pics with that body and lenses.

10-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I'm also concidering a Nikon d7000 since the AF system is great...I saw a guy shooting at a swing dance event and was just clicking away all night. He wasn't even looking though the view finder just shooting.
Don't be too sure.... I not saying which one is better than the others, I am saying those trigger-happy guys finding the camera very responsive and fun to shot does not mean that every shot taken is "in-focus". I have seen too many end-up in the 'delete' bucket.

On the other hand, the TAv mode with k-5 sensor will work quite well; not sure about the D7k though.
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on this site. I have a question for the Pentax K-5 users out there. I currently have a K20d with a Pentax 50-135 2.8 lens and a Tamron 18-55 2.8 lens. The one thing I really hate about this camera is the amount of time it takes for the AF to focus and the fact that the photos are rarely in focus (especially in low light). I'm going to be in the market next year for a new camera just for this reason. I'm concidering the K-5 but I don't want to invest in this camera body if I'm going to have the same issues. I'm also concidering a Nikon d7000 since the AF system is great...I saw a guy shooting at a swing dance event and was just clicking away all night. He wasn't even looking though the view finder just shooting. The majority of the shots were coming out crisp and the focus was where it should be. It is good to note this was in a low light environment and with swing dancing, people are always moving.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if I should invest in a K-5 (since I have lenses for it) or move to Nikon?

Please no bashers, I'm just looking for honest opinions.
I've done a wedding reception under poor lighting conditions with a K5 and 50-135. Using TaV mode with iso capped to 3200, I managed to miss one shot out of nearly 200! I would buy a second K5 in heartbeat if I had the money. It produces a relatively low amount of noise even at high iso so you can shoot with confidence.

Last edited by Christian V.; 10-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't be too sure.... I not saying which one is better than the others, I am saying those trigger-happy guys finding the camera very responsive and fun to shot does not mean that every shot taken is "in-focus". I have seen too many end-up in the 'delete' bucket.

On the other hand, the TAv mode with k-5 sensor will work quite well; not sure about the D7k though.
I just want to make mention as to why I know he was getting sharp pictures with the d7000. He had an iPad with him. He would shoot in blocks and then wirelessly upload the photos to his iPad for people to see. 98% of the shots were sharp.

10-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This should help Nikon D7000 vs Pentax K-5. Ignore the overall result ... unless you are buying the camera for it's video. Deduct that and the K5 is a clear winner. The big winning points for me are IS/SR in camera (this is huge) & WR. It also edges the N7000 in almost every other category.
10-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
while i have to agree that you're probably doing something wrong with your current setup, i do have to say that the k-5 is a very capable camera when it comes to focusing in low light (although having 1.4 glass helps )
10-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I have time this weekend I will post a few videos showing what's going on with my K20d. Maybe I do have as setting wrong but I'm not sure what it could be.
10-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it could be that your lenses need focus calibration if its consistently missing focus, as i do with my k-5 and DA*55
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When I have time this weekend I will post a few videos showing what's going on with my K20d. Maybe I do have as setting wrong but I'm not sure what it could be.
Well here's an idea, the 50-135 is one of Pentax's slowest focusing lenses ...... and swing dancing is fasssst ! There could be your problem right off the bat. The reason I suspect this may be an issue is that I have never had an issue with missing focus, even in very low light or fastish sports (X games / Rugby) but then I use mostly much faster focusing lenses than the 50-135. Just a thought.
10-27-2011, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Now go to a Nikon forum and ask if you should get a D7000 or a K-5.
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Well here's an idea, the 50-135 is one of Pentax's slowest focusing lenses ...... and swing dancing is fasssst ! There could be your problem right off the bat. The reason I suspect this may be an issue is that I have never had an issue with missing focus, even in very low light or fastish sports (X games / Rugby) but then I use mostly much faster focusing lenses than the 50-135. Just a thought.
I'm just curious, what lens would you use in that situation?
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have both in our household and the K5 wins on a few big "usablilty" issues - I'd say deal breakers.
1) The K5 can start and stop video with the remote cable. The D7000 has you touch the body via a little lever/switch from out of live mode. This is a problem when the camera is on a slider or on a jib or something like that. It's a REAL pain.
2) The K5 has a wonderful integrated GPS device that fits on the Hot Shoe and has it's own power. The D7000 uses a similar hot shoe mount, but doesn't have it's own power and uses a cable to connect to the camera for interface and power.
3) While the D7000 has dual SD slots, there is no automatic roll over from one to the other when it comes to video, so there is no point to it having dual SD slots.
4) While the D7000 has two control wheels, you don't get the cool "Hypermode" that Pentax has, nor do you have as many options to program what those wheels do.
5) There is no memory function on the D7000 that remembers where on the menu you were last - like the Pentax.
6) The Nikon has a reverse way of taking off lenses that is not an easy one handed operation since cameras are designed for right-handed shutter buttons. With the Pentax, you don't have to move your right hand, as your right hand can operate the lens release button while the left hand can take the lens off.

Those are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.