Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

will these lenses work for me

Craigslist add, $25. I read that the older Pentax lenses will work on my new K5. Are the lenses for this KM body what will work? $25 seems like a great deal

Asahi Pentax KM Body with shoulder strap
Samyang zoom lens 28-200 mm F 4.0 -- 5.6 plus soft pouch
Pentax 1:2 50mm lens plus soft pouch
Hanimar 1:28 35mm
Imado auto tele converter 2x with hard case
Hanimex flash attachment
Hanimex 49mmclose-up +6 plus pouch
Hanimex 49mm skylight 1a
One Kirkland 200 color print film
Original owners manual
Hanimex camera case

10-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They should work. The tele-converter will be manual everything and the filters are probably not great, but the 50 and the Samyang are worth the $25 each.
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Those aren't a great set of lenses, but yes they will work on your K5. Be sure to read the sticky's here about manual lens usage. What you have:

* The KM body is a decent camera, strong as a bull rhinoceros and about as smart.
* You can use the Hanimex flash with the KM BUT NOT ON YOUR K5! The flash will fry your K5's electronics.
* The M50/2 is a decent but unexciting lens; I have three and they just aren't worth selling now.
* The Samyang zoom probably isn't the best nor worst; the Hanimar 35/2.8 is probably average.
* The Imado 2X TC and the Hanimex closeup adapter and skylight filter are maybe OK.

If you have no other manual lenses, these will be a cheap way to get used to them. And they will leave you hungry for MORE and BETTER lenses. Yes, the kit is worth the US$25 asking price; current market values of everything might be more like US$75. Good luck!
10-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
k then worth a look then guy is not far away, thanks for the help

10-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You will want to read RioRico's article on inspecting used lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Tim
10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
wow great link, will be in Vegas in Dec, will have to check out the pawn shops.
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd pass on this kit. Even if you were to sell stuff and make a profit, it doesn't seem worth the time in this case. Why buy a top quality DSLR and then stick junk on it? Better spend your money on something useful to start with. If you are on a budget look for a Takumar 35mm/3.5, 55/1.8 or an A50/1.7. Each of those can be had for around $50-60 or less and they're great.

10-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

kenafein, my conclusion was that the set is definitely worth US$25 and that it's a cheap introduction to MF lenses. The lenses probably aren't *bad*. Yes, many better lenses exist, and with a bit of experience and research and persistence and luck, many fine used lenses can be found for a pittance. But first, one needs some experience.
We learn good judgment from our experiences.
We gain experience by making bad judgments.
All those lenses should be decent when stopped down. Using them will teach the benefits of stopping-down; the utility of working wide-open; how to make content trump IQ; why primes are better than zooms, and why zooms are more utilitarian than primes; all sortsa stuff. This kit costs about the same as a fancy supreme pizza and has fewer calories. Go for it!
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I can see either way, but I went through that phase and I was just trying to save him some time . Have him go straight for the gems.
11-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
"But not on your K5", picked up some lenses today, passed on this deal as I found some others on CL. But the no old flashes on the K5 may have saved me. I think you should keep throwing that one out there to all the NOOBs. The guy selling the lenses had flashes as well. He would not have steered me wrong unless he just was'nt paying attention. When I mentioned the flashes not being for the K5 he said yes they are not. But if I had not said anything he may not have thought about it. This is a very NOOB friendly forum. I do a lot of searches before asking questions but if you dont even know the question to ask............anyway thank all of you for taking the time to steer me in the right direction.
11-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Forum Member

Regarding flashes, some old may work on your K5. Check out this list:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
11-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5's sensor has terrific resolution, why do you want to put cheap junk lenses in front of it? Better to invest in a few high quality lenses that will deliver great optical quality.
11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-5's sensor has terrific resolution, why do you want to put cheap junk lenses in front of it? Better to invest in a few high quality lenses that will deliver great optical quality.
I think the reasoning behind buying older lenses was discussed fairly well in above replies. But I decided to find what I have read are good optics for the money. Will pick up the kit lense next week. Anything more than that will require waiting til wifey has digested how much money was just spent on camera equipment LOL.

I picked up a screw mount Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50, looks really nice for a old lense, has a Hoya filter on it. 2, 50mm SMC Pentax M 1:2, both are perfect. A Sears 1:2.8 135 mm lens with Vivitar 2x tele converter, all K mounts and various filters. Picking up a Sigma 24mm 2.8 today.