Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
So, is there a secret handshake...

... for new K5 owners?

I just got mine! Good times! I have tested it against my K7 and It's really nice. Oh, I love the K7 and will not get rid of it as it now makes a great back-up as well as for rough day shoots and motorcycle adventures. The K5 will be my working camera and indoor low light monster.

I was VERY close to switching to Nikon however . What concerned me was the lack of Pentax equipment at the store. I went in to purchase it and there were none in stock. I was ready and it was pretty disappointing because I needed it for work and I had held off for so long. Luckily, the store I purchased it from let me take the floor model home until mine came in. They basically let me test it for 2 weeks. In that time I did 4 photoshoots and did lots of research on the Nikon D7000 and others just to weigh my options. I really asked myself whether it was time to switch because of the lack of availability for me (I needed it for work). Also, I'm concerned that there is no upgrade path extending any further. The 645D is just not in my sights and is not practical at all for the average working photographer. There is a hole to fill between the K5 and the 645D. (No, I don't want to start a FF discussion here!)

In the end, I realized I would be pretty stupid to switch after getting a "demo" K5 to freely test for 2 weeks and also the fact that I can't find anything that is better on the Nikon D7000 or any other brand in this range. The K5 just beats them. Also, it would be stupid to try to collect lenses for a new Nikon system. Just not an option. The K5 with the K7 fits my current needs perfectly... for now.

What an AWESOME camera the K5 is! The image and build quality are typically PENTAX and that is one reason why I'm sticking to it. Do you hear us PENATAX? We are loyal. We fight to stay with your brand. We tolerate the subtle ridicule (yet intrigued glancings) from the Canikon "professionals". I spent (wasted) so much time researching other brands feeling skeptical of where the brand is now headed. I stressed over my options. Well, I'm not going anywhere, so I sincerely hope there will be a good upgrade path for working photographers such as myself. We need something in between the K5 and the 645D. I also hope to see the Pentax shelves grow a little at my local camera store. Since I've started shopping there, it has dwindled significantly

Anyway, I just wanted to express my joy and passion for my new K5. I am really not a fanboy of Pentax. I think Nikon and Canon (and Sony) have absolutely amazing cameras. I would by a D3S in a heartbeat if I could afford one right now. In a year or so however, I will be further along in my growing photography career and I will be able to afford one... does that mean I WILL have to switch?? Maybe I won't need to. I certainly hope not.

10-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if there's a secret handshake, if there is, no one ever showed it to me. All I can say though is Welcome to the Club!

10-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, welcome to the club. The K-5 was was I was waiting for. It just delivers over and over.

10-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with you about the lack of stock at stores. Even at McBain (in Red Deer, AB and ALL the Edmonton stores) there is a HUGE lack of anything Pentax. But... still I find them to have the best stock for a "brick and mortar" store.
10-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the OP; I'm a K-7 owner too, and it's wonderful. I have a question for you about the K-5, since you have both cameras:

How does the shutter release feel on your K-5, compared to the K-7? I just bought a new (well, it's not actually new, but that's another, ugly story) K-5 yesterday, and the shutter release button, compared to the K-7, feels really weird. It's loose and rickety feeling, and makes noise, while my K-7's button is perfectly firm, sure, and quiet. Have you noticed a difference? The mode dial also feels a lot looser and cheaper on the K-5 (but I don't especially care about that.)

Have you noticed any significant differences in the build quality between your two cameras?
10-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Congratulations to the OP; I'm a K-7 owner too, and it's wonderful. I have a question for you about the K-5, since you have both cameras:

How does the shutter release feel on your K-5, compared to the K-7? I just bought a new (well, it's not actually new, but that's another, ugly story) K-5 yesterday, and the shutter release button, compared to the K-7, feels really weird. It's loose and rickety feeling, and makes noise, while my K-7's button is perfectly firm, sure, and quiet. Have you noticed a difference? The mode dial also feels a lot looser and cheaper on the K-5 (but I don't especially care about that.)

Have you noticed any significant differences in the build quality between your two cameras?
Everything seems really tight on the new K5. As stated, I had used the demo from the store for about 2 weeks before mine arrived. It was clearly an older version and appeared to be handled quite a bit. It took amazing photos. I did check for the dreaded sensor stains on that version as well just out of curiosity since it was an older camera with lots of use in store. There was just one tiny spec I noticed that wasn't dust and consistent on all tests (F22 shot on plain background). Hardly something that would have worried me with that camera.

The new K5 that I just received is perfect. Again, everything is really tight and the quality is as good or better than the K7 when brand new. I believe my new K5 is a very recent build. I also checked the sensor and it's absolutely spotless. Oh, and the shutter release seems fine, but to me, it's not something I would really noticed unless it was really bad or something. The lens release button seems really tight too. The demo one seemed a little flimsy.

Anyway, aside from all this concern, I'm just going to use the thing and use it hard! That's why I bought a Pentax!

10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The "secret handshake" is your own mitts trembling after punching the BUY button. You are doomed. Have fun!
10-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
The new K5 that I just received is perfect. Again, everything is really tight and the quality is as good or better than the K7 when brand new. I believe my new K5 is a very recent build. I also checked the sensor and it's absolutely spotless. Oh, and the shutter release seems fine, but to me, it's not something I would really noticed unless it was really bad or something. The lens release button seems really tight too. The demo one seemed a little flimsy.
Thanks for the info; that's great to hear. Yesterday I was sold a K-5 as new that was obviously a return; I think I know why the original buyer (or maybe the second or third buyer, for all I know!) returned it, because the build is nothing like what you describe with yours. Your description revives my confidence in the model; my confidence in the store, which I used to trust, may be irreparable.