Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 and slow preview image forming

This is a question about the speed an image shows in the screen after you have pressed the shutter and taken a shot.

I was looking through the menus on my K5 the other day and my have changed something by accident.
Now when I take a shot, it takes much longer to form a preview image on the screen than it used to.

(I always shoot in RAW)

I can't find a menu option that affects this and wondered if anybody had any ideas?

Its gone from sub second to 2-3 seconds.

10-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the image preview is slow, it means that you set up some in-camera post-processing (PP). Switch off all in-cmaera PP including lens distortion correction, High-ISO correction, ....

In doubt, reset the factory settings.

Hope that the comments may help.
10-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks - it was lens distortion correction I had ON.
I've turned it off and the preview forms as quick as I expected.

So now I know - I can play with this option and see what difference it makes.
10-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose the distortion correction really applies to JPEGs but you get the delay even with RAW because the camera uses the JPEG engine to generate the thumbnail (low quality) JPEG embedded in the RAW.