Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I had a Lexar Pro 64gb SDXC card giving me similar corrupted images. I thought the card was defective and sent it back to Lexar. They sent me another one but I was still getting corrupted images. I was never able to reliably recreate the corrupted images although they seemed to happen if I took a long bunch of continuous exposures in RAW. I'll try to remember to test brosen's method soon.

11-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ubizubi Quote
I had a Lexar Pro 64gb SDXC card giving me similar corrupted images. I thought the card was defective and sent it back to Lexar. They sent me another one but I was still getting corrupted images. I was never able to reliably recreate the corrupted images although they seemed to happen if I took a long bunch of continuous exposures in RAW. I'll try to remember to test brosen's method soon.
I remember once I was doing continuos shooting at high speed and also got corrupted files with my Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC.
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
How did you test them? Did you format them in camera before use, or using your PC?

I'm curious about this because SDXC and SDHC use (by default) different filesystems. SDHC uses the FAT32 filesystem, SDXC uses the exFAT filesystem. Somehow the K-5 would have to be able to deal with that (in reading and formatting the cards), as would your PC operating system.
I will only format them in the camera, and the file system is exFAT.
11-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deleting images on any card is risky as both the Jpeg and Raw are a compressed format their file-size alters with image content, if you take an image where the file size is larger it can overwrite partially an existing image and corrupt both. On a hard drive the computer can move files around, but on a card they stay at the same memory address where they were originally stored . It can happen on all cards. It happens most when the card is full and there are no empty pages of memory on the card the DCIM file can default to.

Chris

11-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Deleting images on any card is risky as both the Jpeg and Raw are a compressed format their file-size alters with image content, if you take an image where the file size is larger it can overwrite partially an existing image and corrupt both. On a hard drive the computer can move files around, but on a card they stay at the same memory address where they were originally stored . It can happen on all cards. It happens most when the card is full and there are no empty pages of memory on the card the DCIM file can default to.

Chris
Are you suggesting that the memory management software cannot understand that a particular "free" space (or collection of spaces) is too small for the file to be written there? That capability sounds mandatory for the writing function. I don't understand memory management very well so I'm probably missing something. Can you help?
11-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
FAT may not be the most fantastic filesystem ever, but it most definitely handles non-contigous files. (And computer filesystems rarely move files.)

There are still several ways you increase the risk of corruption when deleting images, because the camera can have a buggy FAT implementation, or the card can have wear leveling that doesn't work right, and no doubt other reasons I didn't think of just now, but assuming all parts work correctly there is no problem deleting images.

Not that I think the chance of all parts working perfectly are that great, but your stated reason for problems is nonsense.

A buggy exFAT implementation on the K5 seems pretty likely from this thread.
11-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nikon just released a firmware update to deal with some card reading/writing issues with the D7000. Maybe Pentax will do the same soon.

Looks like SDXC as a card standard has some settling down to do.

11-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nikon just released a firmware update to deal with some card reading/writing issues with the D7000. Maybe Pentax will do the same soon.

Looks like SDXC as a card standard has some settling down to do.
Right. That's one reason I stick with SDHC. The other is that I don't want a huge library of photos on one card, where they can all get lost at once. There's a reason Nikon allows 2 cards in the D7000.
12-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #24

I am having this exact same problem with my new Patriot LX Series 64GB SHXC card. Previous, I never had any issues with the SDHC cards, including my Patriot LX Series 8GB SDHC card. I am using a K-7, not the K-5, therefore, I am thinking maybe its has something to do with the firmware. Before I did the test, I reformatted the card twice in the camera, just to be sure. I do not know what the solution is.
12-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Please try to recreate this potential problem with the K-5 handling SDXC cards when using RAW+JPEG, as follows:

- Take 5 or 6 shots in RAW+JPEG
- Try to zoom in while viewing the photos in the camera, there shouldn't be any problem
- Now delete 2 or 3 of the images in camera
- Now take 5 or 6 more shots in RAW+JPEG again
- Try to Zoom in while viewing the latest shots in camera
- Now 1 or 2 of the latest shots should be corrupted, cannot zoom in or is corrupted when imported

I did the same test with an SDHC card and the problem did not happen. I think there is a problem with the K-5 handling SDXC cards, or my SDXC cards are defective, but I've tested them in another camera with no problem. I am using Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC cards.

NOTE: Did the exact same test with JPEGs and the problem did not happen, it seems to be related to RAW+JPEG only.

Please could you try to reproduce the problem in your camera if you are using an SDXC card, thanks

Bernard
I thought the specs said only up to 32GB... has this been extended?

Solution... don't shoot JPEG
12-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #26

I just tried it using only jpeg and the SDXC card stated in earlier post, did not seem to have the problem.
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax USA advised me today that SDXC is currently not speed regulated or compliant with the K5 as of yet. It is an issue that is apparently still being worked on. Rely on SDHC rather SDXC at the moment.

Stephen
02-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I thought the specs said only up to 32GB... has this been extended?

Solution... don't shoot JPEG
Got the idea as soon as I read the first comment about the 32GB card. Dunno about the K5 but current devices seem to mostly support up to 32. Even if the "limit" is 64GB, i reckon 128 is overkill in every way.

And keep shooting raw.
02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #29

Reponding tothe K-5 not handling the SDXC media cards. The problemlies in the FIRMWARE version. I had the same problem, Researched and found that my K-5 Firmware was version 1.01. Google pentax firmware downloads and get the latest firmware version 1.12 and download to your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade your firmware. You willneed a 32GB media card to handle the upgrade.
02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lasher Quote
You willneed a 32GB media card to handle the upgrade.
HUH? The .bin file is only a little more than 10 MB.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

===========================================================================
PENTAX K-5 Firmware Updating to Version 1.12
===========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running
Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11

How to check version
Turn the power on while pressing the MENU button.
The Firmware version is displayed for about 5 seconds at the center
of the LCD monitor.
Perform the above operation without inserting the SD/SDHC card
containing Firmware in the camera.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [Caution] * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Be sure to use fully charged battery (D-LI90)
If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the
camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for
repairs even if within the warranty period.

Updating Procedure

1. Provide a formated SD/SDHC memory card for the update software.
The downloaded file is self-extracting.
The following files are extracted.

readme.txt : this document
fwdc209b.bin : Firmware

Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc209b.bin] to the root directory in
the SD/SDHC card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware
update file by inserting the SD/SDHC card into your camera and then
connecting the camera directly to your computer.

2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full
by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.

3. Insert the update SD/SDHC card (prepared in step 1) into the camera
and close card cover.

4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

5. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,

CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11
UPDATE VERSION 1.12

will be displayed.

6. Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.

7. "UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the
update is completed.
It will take approximately 90~150 seconds to complete update.

8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.

10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.12"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.

(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file
first.

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-22-2012 at 02:30 PM.