Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Shadow clipping when importing K-5 raw files

When I import raw files into Lightroom they appear much darker than the images on the camera preview screen, bright areas are OK, but shadows are very dark. The same happens if I use apple iphoto. If I convert the images into a jpg in the camera they look like the camera screen preview. Does anyone has the same problem? This is a pain since I have to bring up the shadows for nearly every image I import.

I attach some samples, the brighter ones are the jpgs converted in the camera the dark ones are imported into lightroom and converted into jpg there.

Attached Images

11-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
To me it looks like you have problem with colorspace
To what color space is set your camera, and what cs do you use in software?

I guess that you camera is set at AdobeRGB and software to sRGB
11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
To me it looks like you have problem with colorspace
To what color space is set your camera, and what cs do you use in software?

I guess that you camera is set at AdobeRGB and software to sRGB
I don't know if I can change the settings for the import, the format of the camera is sRGB, doesn't that mean they are imported as sRGB? - where would I change the import settings in Lightroom?
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calibrate your computer monitor. Nothing to do with the camera.
You should not rely on the camera's LCD to judge color.

11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is most likely that you are applying some processing in-camera. These settings are applied to the preview jpeg that is embedded in the RAW file, and any jpeg files you shoot.

Unless you are using Pentax' conversion software, you won't see the same thing from your RAW files. You probably notice that the pictures look 'right' when you first import them into LR, then they go dark. You are seeing the embedded jpeg first, then how LR renders the RAW data.
11-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Turn off Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction (in the menu: Rec Mode 3 -> D-Range Setting).