Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just flash dead?

I just picked up my k5 and it wasn't firing. I then noticed it fired fine when the flash was down, but it didn't when it was up. I guess the flash died (with very little use) and that prevents the camera from firing when the flash is up. No flash charging noise either.
May I be missing something? tried all modes, exposure, AF/MF, just a straight forward failure, it seems.

11-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, what's not firing. The K-5 shutter or the pop-up flash? Are you saying the camera won't take pictures when the flash is up? Or are you saying the flash doesn't work? Oh, wait nevermind. I think i understand.

Go to the custom menu 20. Release while charging. Set that to On. This will allow you to shoot while the flash is "charging", or if the flash is "up". Of course in your case if it's dead, the camera probably thinks it's always charging.

As for the flash, if it's not working in any mode, you may have a bad PCB board. I did on my K-r and the only fix is to send it in for warranty repair.

Last edited by einstrigger; 11-09-2011 at 05:50 PM.