Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
@sterretje - the offtrail 2 with 1 lens case but as a shoulder/sling bag is exactly what I'm looking for, unless I wind up with one of the 'doesn't look like a camera bag' bags. It's not a sling bag though from what I see, only a belt-pack/waist-pack? That's fine for some cases, but really looking for a shoulder (or convertible) bag right now. You're right on the weatherproofing...I doubt the CL is. It may well be the 'quick and cheap' option, and throw a garbage bag into the pocket, if I can't find a more ideal solution (trip is coming up soon)..
Sorry, I tought that you did not want a sling bag as that's something you already have; it's indeed a belt / waist pack with an additional strap for the opposite shoulder. For me an / the advantage of a belt-pack is that the weight is not on your shoulders so from that perspective it will not bother me after a day carrying it around. I still have a very old shoulder bag and it was always irritating me after about an hour or so; it slides of my shoulder and if I put the strap on the opposite shoulder, the strap cuts in my neck.

I bought the offtrail 2 as a replacement for the shoulder bag for the above reasoning against the shoulder bag as well as that I always had the fear that the strap of the shoulder bag would break / come loose while on the motor bike at 120km/h and all my gear would end up on the tar; having a shoulder strap as well as a hip belt gives me more confidence. It also gives me a better feeling when ending up in 'lesser' areas (not as easy to simply pull it off the body).

If you are into multi-day hiking as well, there is a disadvantage to the offtrail 2. Straps and bag are fighting with a 55 liter backpack and it never seems to be comfortably. It's fine with a small daypack that does not have a hip belt.

Again, just sharing my experience with bags.

11-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

@ff - I've seen a few Tamracs, and they look pretty nice, but it's tough to find one on the smaller side, this is the closest I've found so far:
Amazon.com: Tamrac 5766 Velocity 6x Compact Sling Pack (Black): Camera & Photo
Those Tamrac expresses look similar to the 5MHD and the Domke 5 (some long number, think I linked above to it), thanks. The model you mention is too big for my current needs, but they have a few sizes..can't seem to find pics yet with an actual person holding each of them. How's it hold up in moderate rain and over time?
Yep - the model I have is the largest size and takes my K5 with 50-150 attached plus two split compartments to take another 4 lenses/flashes. plus assorted zip pockets etc. I don't think they are waterproof though the pockets have covers over the zipped pockets (the main compartment is not zippered for quick access). Maybe the smallest of these would be perfect for your needs, I tried it before buying the larger one, camera plus 55-300 and room for two more lenses is fine. Check the internal dimensions on the Tamrac site - quite a difference. Note that this is not a backpack and not really suitable if you are cycling.
11-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the suggestions- I have a few of those mentioned bookmarked to check out in person to consider for a future larger bag once my lens collection settles out a bit or for next years camping trip.

For now, I picked up a National Geographic small shoulder bag, which will hopefully work out. There are a lot of bags just a bit bigger or smaller, went back and forth on a Crumpler 4mdh, 5mdh, Tarmac 5/6 express, Thinking 5, etc. As well as one step up in the NG bags size-wise, but then it was getting closer in size to the Adorama Slinger I already have..
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #19

Original Poster
The Nat Geo (NG 2343) bag showed up, seems pretty decent, will post back after my next trip with it. Seems to be at least reasonably well made, has good tucked away pockets on the back, inside, and out. The depth is pretty good, fits a mounted Tamron 70-300 on the k5 with no problems depth-wise. It's somewhat close on width of the K5, but a pretty good fit. There's room for reasonably sized lenses in the pair of side compartments, although it's not wide enough to fit the K5 facing downwards and to have a longer lens alongside right next to the k5 body, it needs to fit under the body width-wise. I can easily get the k5 body, 18-55, 70-300, and a small stack of primes into the bag, plus spare memory card, battery, lens wipes and a microfiber cloth, so it's 'just about right' for what i wanted size-wise. Were it an inch wider, I probably wouldn't complain though. The dividers themselves don't have velcro on their insides (they do on the ends, to reposition them in the bag), so no horizontal additional dividers, but that's not a big loss on a bag this size, IMO. Padding seems ok - not as thick as the Slinger bag I have, but good for a working travel type of bag. There is a top zipper that makes the bag mostly waterproof when zipped, or it can be rolled up and just use the pair of snap type straps on the main cover.

Looks like it will work out pretty well, is roughly half the size of the slinger, but more of a cube in dimensions, will see if i can post a few pics of it packed when I get a chance, in case someone else stumbles across this or is searching for info on the National Geographic bags..

11-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamrac Express

Those Tamrac expresses look similar to the 5MHD and the Domke 5 (some long number, think I linked above to it), thanks. The model you mention is too big for my current needs, but they have a few sizes..can't seem to find pics yet with an actual person holding each of them. How's it hold up in moderate rain and over time?
I have had my Tamrac Express for two years now and have taken it twice to Europe, as well as it being my take along bag where ever i go. Its held up well i have the tan colored bag and it still looks good. I like the extra front pockets that you do not get with the Crumpler,s they make for a good place to put maps, guide books, or a paperback to take along to to the beach. The bag holds up well in moderate rain and does not tip over when i set it on the floor/ground. I purchased the Express 7 because it can hold my Kx with my 55-300 attached, as well an extra lens or two and a flash. Below is shot of me with the Tamrac.

Regards, Bill
Attached Images