Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Difference between -> P and P Line

Messing around with my E-Dial programming options and was wondering if anyone knew what the difference is between -> P and P Line for the Green button. For example in Program Mode you have the option of specifying "-> P" or "P Line" for green button, depending on what settings you are using for your dials. I don't really understand the distinction.

11-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are 1 normal and 4 other choices for the P setting bias. P Line may be one of them. Don't know about the green button other than it returns me to P after going to a different mode...
11-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
No, no choice for P Line. I believe P Line stands for Program Line meaning it will revert back to what you selected as your program line (eg MTF, Sports, DOF near/far, etc...). Just don't know what "->P" means, behaves the same way as P Line best I can tell but then why not call it P Line?
11-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The manual page 283 says "-->P" means "return to P mode".

11-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The manual page 283 says "-->P" means "return to P mode".
Yeah, but one is already in P mode Does not really make sense.
11-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

sorry duplicate of post below
11-12-2011, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rsoph Quote
Messing around with my E-Dial programming options and was wondering if anyone knew what the difference is between -> P and P Line for the Green button. For example in Program Mode you have the option of specifying "-> P" or "P Line" for green button, depending on what settings you are using for your dials. I don't really understand the distinction.
P mode on the dial = camera decides best shutter speed / aperture /ISO [if on auto ISO range] combination combination at the time of pressing the shutter button to activate the light meter.call this condition A

In P mode [unlike the Green mode on the dial] the aforementioned parameters can be altered via dials by the user. call this condition B

pressing the green button returns the camera setting to A from user setting B

The green button when pressed in P mode returns the camera to condition A and in the menu you have a choice of what preference is given to this auto setting, speed or aperture priority and other settings see page 102 in th K manual.

what all this means is if you like to have shutter speed as your priority because you are doing action shots then if you have set that in the Program line, you will get this by pressing the green button in P Mode. if you suddenly need aperture for d.o.f reason IN P mode you adjust the dial to get this and the speed alter to follow the new aperture, once finished and back to action shots you press green and the camera goes back to speed priority for that light reading

hope that helps

11-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well that is a good explanation of what it does, but it does not answer the original question. All of the e-dial menu options are for "program mode" its just that some of them label the green button "-> P" (return to program mode which you never left) and others choose to label it "P Line" return to the preselected program line. In my opinion, "P Line" is the more appropriate label since in any case (best I can tell) when in program mode, the green button returns you to your preselected program mode. At least that is what I am going with for now.
09-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by rsoph Quote
Well that is a good explanation of what it does, but it does not answer the original question. All of the e-dial menu options are for "program mode" its just that some of them label the green button "-> P" (return to program mode which you never left) and others choose to label it "P Line" return to the preselected program line. In my opinion, "P Line" is the more appropriate label since in any case (best I can tell) when in program mode, the green button returns you to your preselected program mode. At least that is what I am going with for now.
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but this was driving me mad and I didn’t really find it addressed anywhere else that made any sense to me. Leaving this here for others. I have a K-30 v1.6, ymmv. To the original question, in P mode if you have the e-dial configured to change Aperture & Shutter settings, rolling the dial will auto switch the camera to Av Hyper mode & Tv Hyper mode, respectively. This is why you can assign the Green button to “->P” as it will return you to P mode (and additionally set A & T values to P line). [Aside: since there is no Program Line setting for the K-30, I can only assume ‘P Line’ for my camera has one algorithm, probably equating to other camera’s ‘Standard’ Program Line.] Alternatively, you could set the e-dial to EV Compensation & P Shift, and in this case the Green button gets assigned ‘P Line,’ because you never leave P mode when you ‘P Shift.’ In this case, the Green button will simply set A & T back to P Line (leaving any EV Compensation adjustments alone- if you want to revert those you need to e-dial back to 0).

The missing piece for me was that the active camera mode is different than what you’ve set on the top dial. Similar to when you have top dial set to M mode but manually configure ISO to Auto, the camera actually operates in TAv mode because your manual configurations just essentially duplicated that mode.