Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 went south.

And of course it did so when I was getting ready for a paid shoot of a live performance in low light (theatre). With everything being charged up and fine, I hit the shutter and I get a clunk type of sound (reminded me of the sensor shifting around) and the message battery depleated. I tried all the obvious things, recharging batteries, different batteries, removing batteries for up to several hours, different card, different lens, everything. All to no avail.

I had been shooting bulb a couple days previous and I seem to recall some discussion of problems with the K-5 after using bulb mode. My first shot of the day, before it all went downhill was a long exposure on a tripod using the remote (SR off of course) and it made a weird thunking sound like the sensor was moving around. The resultant image looked like it had light trails, like the camera was moving while the shutter was open. It then behaved for a bit, then died.

Anyone out there with similar experiences? I learned that two cameras at a shoot are not enough if you actually need two cameras. Take three.

11-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ouch! Sounds like the problem is beyond civilian help; removing the battery briefly has rescued mine after a couple of apparent firmware crashes where the camera becomes completely unresponsive even to the power switch with (typically) some junk stuck on the LCD display.
11-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sounds dead to me. To bad. Send it in for repair.
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah it's probably the sensor assembly- hopefully it's an easy fix, but you're definitely going to have to send it in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

And yet another reminder why I will never buy the K-5.
11-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ya, I love my K5, but I have to admit it has to be the most unreliable camera on the planet! Yes, I know a lot of them work fine, but then they should being Pentax's top of the line. This camera has found more ways to fail than any other piece of electronics I have ever owned. I know I'm going to get torn for this, but I'm sorry it's just true. Hopefully Ricoh will pick up the pieces, and start producing a quality product again! I can only hope their listening. I'm really kinda sorry I didn't keep my K7, and wait for the next model.

Last edited by Tony3d; 11-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.
11-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The timing on this could not have been worse either. I specifically needed the strengths of this camera for the shoot. Had it been a portrait shoot or soemthing else where I was using supplemental lighting the K-7 or K20D even would have sufficed just fine. But no. It had to be right before the live theatre shooting. Of course.

11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the club. You have a lot of company.
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll have to add "don't use bulb setting" to my list of things not to try with my new (or possibly-refurbished-and-they-just-didn't-tell-me) K-5, right behind "don't use the Tamron adaptall lens on it that worked fine with the K-7." (After using the adaptall lens, for about a dozen shots, the camera started beeping at me every time I tried to fire the shutter. Only a reset of the firmware stopped it. )

I'm also not planning to take the gaffer tape off the lens release button that I put there as soon as I bought the thing. The "nothing's wrong with my camera" crowd can laugh if they want.
11-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Ya, I love my K5, but I have to admit it has to be the most unreliable camera on the planet! Yes, I know a lot of them work fine, but then they should being Pentax's top of the line. This camera has found more ways to fail than any other piece of electronics I have ever owned. I know I'm going to get torn for this, but I'm sorry it's just true. Hopefully Ricoh will pick up the pieces, and start producing a quality product again! I can only hope their listening. I'm really kinda sorry I didn't keep my K7, and wait for the next model.
Love my K7. It's never let me down. It's too bad the K5 couldn't live up to it. The thing looks fantastic.
11-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My K-5 is still problem free after 8k shots, I must be in the minority. I sure don't take my well behaved K-5 for granted after reading of all those with faulty ones.
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is over 8K for sure. I've rolled the counter around a few times but lost track of how many. But alas, it's bubblewrapped and insured self is on it's way to C.R.I.S for hopefully some shiny new parts to make it work.
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
And of course it did so when I was getting ready for a paid shoot of a live performance in low light (theatre). With everything being charged up and fine, I hit the shutter and I get a clunk type of sound (reminded me of the sensor shifting around) and the message battery depleated. I tried all the obvious things, recharging batteries, different batteries, removing batteries for up to several hours, different card, different lens, everything. All to no avail.

I had been shooting bulb a couple days previous and I seem to recall some discussion of problems with the K-5 after using bulb mode. My first shot of the day, before it all went downhill was a long exposure on a tripod using the remote (SR off of course) and it made a weird thunking sound like the sensor was moving around. The resultant image looked like it had light trails, like the camera was moving while the shutter was open. It then behaved for a bit, then died.

Anyone out there with similar experiences? I learned that two cameras at a shoot are not enough if you actually need two cameras. Take three.
I have been telling myself some of the posts here on the poor QC of the K5 are way over blown; and even some trolls involved. But your a moderator! So this just about kills any hope that I will buy a K5.

When I buy something I want to feel good about my purchase. I watched the K20D for about one year (while using a K10D/GX10), it had no issues, none other than the 2 second delay problem quickly solved with a firmware release. I really enjoyed the K20D, I had no fear of it breaking. If I bought a K5 in the back of my mind I will always be wondering is today the day I send it away for repair. Is the lens release button still on. This is Hoya cost cutting to the max.
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really hate to kill anyone's hope. It's a really awesome camera when it's working. Yes I do see the irony in that statement.
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #15

That sucks, sorry to hear this, and here's hoping for a speedy, painless, and complete repair with no further issues!

Can you share the manufacturing date and starting part of the SN?
It may of course be meaningless, but would give some more data anyways.