Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Pentax K-5 Australian Rebate-Help Please

Hi to all,

I’m trying to get some info on whether Pentax has any rebate, or compensation for Australian customers who bought their K-5s before Pentax dropped the price?

US Rebate info
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-5-rebate-extended.html

UK Rebate info
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-5-uk-cashback.html

I’m glad to hear Pentax UK has offered a rebate to their customers who had bought their K-5s before the price reduction, even providing a downloadable form to fill in if I read this link properly.

Pentax Australia hasn't heard of the $300 rebate yet, I bought a K-5 body from a recognized dealer in Sydney for $AU1499 in August 2011 and in October the price tumbled $AU300.

I was in touch with CR Kennedy (Pentax Distributor in Australia), and they told me they were not going to offer a rebate.

It would be good to know how to contact someone in authority, and get an answer to the attitude of Pentax Australia.

Thanks, any "appropriate" info appreciated.

Last edited by LogamHarimau; 11-21-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: No relevant comments
11-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be happy with what you got for the money at the time you bought it. Someone will always get an item for less than you paid and that is just their good luck. My philosophy is to buy something when I think it is fair value and if the price drops later I still have the article at what I considered a fair price. If Pentax decides to make the rebate retrospective, go for it, but don't complain if they don't. Where would you like to make the cut off point for retrospectivity? One month? Two months? How about to March when I bought mine?
11-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many of us bought the camera at its original price, deciding it was worth that cost, and knowing that we could get it for less if we waited until the price dropped. People paying the lower price now are buying a camera that is "older" in its life cycle, so will be obsoleted in a shorter time than when we bought it. I would certainly not expect Pentax to rebate everyone, and where to draw the line is up to them. I wouldn't expect them to offer it to anyone who bought before they lowered the price, as we all thought it was worth what we paid, and that is ultimately what determines a selling price.
11-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

That's technology for you! Everything you buy in technology tumbles in price, you pay a premium for having the latest and greatest at the time.

I do however see your point that other countries are offering a rebate, but when is the aus disti fair? Look at lens prices compared to other countries!!!

11-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
If warranty or loyalty to local store is important to you, then yes, get it locally.

Most items in Australia are far above RRP except kangaroo meat.....
I am not willing to fork out my hard earned cash to any local retailer, and so i import mine....
AUD 1200 for K5 and kit lens in July 2011...before the price drop...

I have a great few months with my K5. I have never regretted getting it early....

Enjoy!
11-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I am not willing to fork out my hard earned cash to any local retailer, and so i import mine....
AUD 1200 for K5 and kit lens in July 2011...before the price drop...

Enjoy!

That's a good price. I just paid $1250 for body only locally.
How would you go if you had to make a warrenty claim?
11-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

The camera came with one year warranty (it was two years right before i bought it).
If there is a problem, i have to send it back to the seller to deal with it.

I have done 3500 shots since then and i absolutely love it. If i can get just one shot of my family that is good enough for a poster on my wall, it will be worth more than AUD $1000 i pay for K5.
I am not at all concerned if there will be a problem with my K5. I just enjoy using it!

11-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Rebate or not, here's an awesome bargain for us Aussies w/ Aussie warranty with CR Kennedy, AUD$1159
Pentax K5 Digital SLR Camera - Body Only - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia
11-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by MagusAku Quote
Rebate or not, here's an awesome bargain for us Aussies w/ Aussie warranty with CR Kennedy, AUD$1159
Pentax K5 Digital SLR Camera - Body Only - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia
I bought mine from DigitalFunStuff in Utlimo in Sydney on the weekend for $1115. Aussie stock with Aussie CRK warranty.

Pentax K5 digital slr at Digital Fun Stuff
11-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Talos Quote
DigitalFunStuff
What an appropriate name.
Closed Thread