Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Displaying aperture with 'A' lenses

In the context of manual lenses Pentax 'A' or Tamrons with 'A' should I be able to see the 'f' setting in the viewfinder?

The camera must be operating the lens correctly as I have no exposure problems but it's not giving me any information as to what it's setting the aperture to. Or is this just the way it is?

11-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You must set the aperture ring to "A".
11-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, doing that and exposures are correct. Just not seeing any display telling me what the camera is setting the aperture to. Should I be seeing this data?
11-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Yep, doing that and exposures are correct. Just not seeing any display telling me what the camera is setting the aperture to. Should I be seeing this data?
You should yes, although it would help to know what camera and mode you are using.

11-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said above: You should certainly see the f-number. (As long as you are half-pressing the shutter button and for a while thereafter).

Since you are experiencing the same with as well Pentax lenses in 'A' setting as Tamrons in 'AE' setting it cannot be a lens problem. What DO you see in the viewfinder where the f-number should appear? It should at least show "--" unless your LEDs/LED display are/is corrupted.

Anyway, I would take a closer look at the camera body mount contacts.
11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mode AV. Pressing half shutter brings up F-- iso & SS as well as the expected anti shake symbol. focus etc.
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
In the context of manual lenses Pentax 'A' or Tamrons with 'A' should I be able to see the 'f' setting in the viewfinder?
Clean the lens and body contacts. Move a bit the lens, to see if the f value appears. It should, definitively.

Cheers - Klaus

11-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, most seem to work now and I can both see the aperture reading and control it through the camera body.
The Adaptall still not quite right but all the Pentax 'A' s work as they are supposed to.

I am finding that it tends to the underexposed side of things ( Ev @ 0) Need to have iso up around 400 to get correct exposure.

I expect it's mainly user error. As no problems using the F or Da lenses.
11-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I used some older M42 lenses on mine today. Much to my surprise like the focus confirmation chips on my previous ZE Zeiss glass, the cheap adapter I bought was bringing up the focus confirm light and it was pretty much on point. I dd notice a serious under exposure problem though even though it was in Av mode. Am I doing something wrong?
11-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Digressing a little here. Just been outside playing with my Pentax 50'A' 1.4 and I think I'm in love. You can set the dof wafer thin and once I forgot all about the what the camera told me was focus and just went by what I saw in the viewfinder keepers improved 25%