Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I agree with everything in that statement, except that the 35/2.4 isn't a WR lens
Really ? Oh my bad. I though when Pentax said it is resistant to water (and it has a green band on it) then it was WR. Apologies for misleading anyone !

11-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Really ? Oh my bad. I though when Pentax said it is resistant to water (and it has a green band on it) then it was WR. Apologies for misleading anyone !
No worries. It would be awesome if it was WR, especially for the price!
11-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're crazy... Now what did you want to know? Oh right, the lenses.

The DA* 50-135 2.8 is a great piece of glass (provided the SDM holds out) and it will give you roughly the same view angle as the classic 70-200 2.8 I would start with that one, and you may decide you don't need the 55 1.4, it's really that sharp. In fact at f2.8 both lenses have almost the exact same resolution figures, it just depends on whether you want the paper thin DoF of f/1.4, try the 50-135 first and see.

There are certainly a plethora of 50~55mm primes in the Pentax arsenal with superb IQ that won't set you back as far as the DA* 55, but if you want weathersealing and an ultrawide aperture, it's probably the way to go. The DFA 50 macro is a great lens (only 2.8 though), the FA 50 1.4 is also a classic and easily obtainable, or the A 50 1.2, Oooo. And heck, if you really want great IQ at a fraction of the cost, and don't mind a little Thorium radiation, the 50mm 1.4 SMC Takumar is the bee's knees.

In the 17-50 range, sadly there aren't many good options IMO, I'm looking for one myself. I think the DA* 16-50 is over rated, the kit lens is actually a bit underrated, but too slow and too soft. The Tamron that you mentioned is a decent solution, but after some soul searching, I think I may go with the Tokina 20-35 f2.8 and get the FA 43 limited, or the DA 40 limited (dag blast it, I promised myself I was done buying APS-C glass, but I may have lied) I have a Sigma 8-16 for all my ultra wide needs, and it is oh-so-sharp.
11-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Maxfield, if you can find an FA 20-35, that is a stellar zoom in that range as well.

12-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #20

Original Poster
In the end, I bought a 55mm 1.4. DA and could not be happier. Very impressive bokeh. It started raining unexpectedly first day out and I just kept shooting away.

I just bought a used 21mm DA 2.8 from adorama, deciding I would like a pancake. I am new to Chicago and this looks like a great city for street photography and a great small lens for it.

I am looking for a deal on a 50-135 and will likely be patient. Thanks everyone for your advice. I considered several lenses I had known nothing about. The great thing about cameras these days -- I can always swap something out in a few months at little loss if I find something better.

BTW, as a new Pentax user, the forums are amazing. I feel like I joined a community and didn't just switch to a new brand.

Curtis
12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Nice to know what you decided on in the end. Hope you hang around and share your experiences with us.
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am reluctant to suggest the DA*50-135, since I am soon to be on my third one, two having failed in the SDM area, but I have to admit that for IQ it is as close to a prime as you will find in any zoom lens. It may reduce your need in other lenses within its range......it is no doubt "that good".
Regards!

12-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I have found this list of lenses compatible with Pentax K to be helpful as the starting point Lenses for Pentax K | Neocamera (just to check the basic parameters).

Since you already know what range you liked with your 20D, why don't you go for the same for the K5?

Btw, you can buy used lenses here on this forum for reasonable price.
12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chicurt Quote
I am new to Chicago and this looks like a great city for street photography and a great small lens for it.
Curtis
I agree - having been in Chicago for a while, I can attest that you can't ever run out of subjects in this great city. Can't wait for you to post some samples here.