Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Taking K5 to Europe

Has anyone traveled in Europe recently with their Pentax gear, especially Italy? I'm really worried about getting my bag stollen right off my neck. Is it really that bad? I'd jump of St. Peter's! My K5, and lenses are finally the perfect outfit for me, and I don't want to loose it.

11-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't look like a victim, don't show you fear nor showoff your 'possessions'. Sorry to say, but it's not the photo bag around your neck but the traveler's guide in your hands (and a Hawaii shirt) that's working like a red cloth...
11-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rome and Italy are not worse than other places visited by millions of tourist. Just use resonable care like in any other tourist location (you are located in Orlando, right?). I have seen a lot of more dangerous places than Rome, but hardly any more fascinating! Enjoy your trip to Europe!
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt that Rome (haven't been there myself) is worse than your regular big city. A few tips is to never look like you're afraid and lost, confidence scares thieves away despite the "travelers guide" in your hand. In crowded areas hold on to your bag (especially the lid) with your hand or arm pushing by it into your body but still don't look like you're cramping on it in a paranoid manner. Don't be afraid of asking locals about things, it's always better than looking lost and you look too confident to be a target.

In short, look confident and use common sense. Thugs are drawn to "weak targets" and if you look like you know what you're doing they simple don't want to risk things.

Have a nice trip! I would love to go there myself in the future. Keep away from the eventual demonstrations due to the political situation, it can get rough.

11-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Hey,
i travel half the world with my pentax gear. i just got back from Colombia, which i would say is far more dangerous (people on the street kept telling me to hide the camera...).
But in the end it all ended with a bunch of great shots.
There was one trip where i left my Pentax at home and brought a point&shot camera (Brazil) and i regret that still!

Rome is not a problem. There are so many tourists, why would they rob you? People don't know the brand ;-)
11-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

I took my Pentax (film stuff) to Pakistan for 3 months, it came back ok. My job took me to 26 countries over 35 years for months at a time and I never had one problem Main thing is not to take your eyes off your equipment and do not flash it around. I carry my camera with the strap over my neck (right side) allowing my camera to rest on my left. I also keep one hand on it to help hide and to hold it. That way it is not as visible as it would be swinging in front on you and more secure if someone grabs it and tries to run because the strap is over your neck and under your arm. Also, keep a watch out for people following, but do not be paranoid, it could ruin a great trip.
11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The hand over/in the bag/bocket offers great protection. I learned it the hard way as I once lost my wallet when pushing myself through a crowd when getting of a buss here in Sweden. Pick-pocketers won't risk getting cought by your hand.

11-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I know the last time we went to Rome my brother had both his pants pockets picked as we were leaving the metro. I was watching him the whole time until we turned around to leave. So I know how careful you need to be. Luckily, they only got souvenirs. Everything else was in his neck pouch. There very good!
11-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simple, just wear a t-shirt that says, "No Nikon. No Canon" and they'll leave you alone.

We had a camera bag stolen in the lobby of a hotel near the Vatican. Nikon D40 and Ricoh GX100. Ended up getting my wife hooked on Pentax with the insurance money. So some good did come of it.
11-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

If you are on holiday with family, leave the gear at home and take something like a Nikon P300 and be a tourist, otherwise it's just like videoing a child's nativity play or party...you are on the outside, and don't get to join in. Buy postcards.Seriously!
Nigel
ps I would recommend pacsafe bags.
11-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Just spent a year in Europe and made numerous trips to Rome with no issues. The main pick pockets seem to be the younger kids that most like to refer to as gypsies. Typically pickpockets hit the busier crowded areas. Just keep a credit card or money in your front pocket and hold onto your bag. If its a backpack, wear it on your front as thats what alot of people both tourists and locals alike were doing when I was there. It's really no different than anywhere in the US.
11-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #12

The truth ?

Have been in Italy more then 10 times, have NEVER been robbed.
And with 1,72m i am absolutly not huge ^^

Good thing, you will not die, the thieves over here aren't so trigger happy, so hand over your back, he will leave, things done,

Edit:
In fact i am absolutly shocked that an US citizen fear "old" europe because "here" is "soo much" crime O_o
11-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Completely agree with mehlsack. Crime in Europe is just not on par with the US. Most if any in most of the major cities I visited was petty crimes at most. Now Asia (ie Thailand,) that's another story...
11-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compared to somewhere like New York , generally, Europe is about as dangerous as wandering around Macey's.
11-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I travel through Europe on a very frequent basis and through Italy the most, including Rome. Not once have I ever been in a situation where I thought my camera or any other gear was at risk. Then again, I dont leave my camera lying on a cafe table or chair, leave it anywhere other than in my hand, around my neck or in my bag, nor do I leave anything of any value unattended, no matter what city or country. Even in the subway or buses, just have it in front of you and be aware of your immediate surroundings.

Common sense trumps paranoia any day.

Have fun, Italy is a fantastic place to visit and travel through as well as offers limitless photographic opportunities.

Buon viaggio!

Jason