Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Inconsist exposure please advise.....

I have a K-20D and a K-5. When I shoot with the K-5 the exposure is NOT close at all to what it is on my K-20D.
I don't know what to do. The pictures from the K-5 are way underexposed compared to the K-20 D.
What can I do? Both were taken at ISO 100 1/125 and 4.5 f-stop
The lighting was exactly the same on both.

11-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Rene, I am a bit of a newbie so I probably can't help with the answer, but a quick question for clarity might help others help you...

You say you get inconsistent exposure. Do you mean it is inconsistent when compared with your K-20D (as per your example), or are you getting inconsistent exposures from shot to shot with the K-5? Probably the former, I suspect.

FWIW, I thought the second photo looked 'right' to me, warm and natural. But I of course haven't seen the subject or backdrop in natural light to compare.

Hope this contributes to helping...

john a

ps: another newbie thought... is this about white balance rather than exposure?

Last edited by JohnA; 11-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.
11-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you processing these at all? If they're straight JPEG, one looks like it has different processing than the other..if I had to guess, the K20D looks like you ran it through a filter.
11-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
JohnA - I mean that I get different results from different cameras. Everything is the same except the bodies. It could be white balance, but I have it set to AUTO on both.
kenyee - The 1st photo is from the K-5. The second one is from the K-20D. These are JPEG straight from the camera. The little fellow is actually just that toasty brown color. The thing that kills me is
that I upgraded and I STILL keep reaching for the old camera because I am more happy with the results. I have not been able to capitalize on the extra speed and other things because I am unhappy with the color.
I just need to know what to do!

11-19-2011, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi
from what i see can guess that filter "muted" is applied in k5
11-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks - Dave

I will get my book out and check out that possibility! I will let you know what I find out! Thanks a bunch!
11-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Dave! YOU ARE MY HERO FOR THE DAY! That was it!

11-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are not metering the same. One (the K5) is center center weighted average and the other (K20D) is pattern / multi-segment. If you use the same metering mode there should may still be a difference but closer. Also one is WB manual and the other WB auto.

DAZ
11-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks DAZ. You are correct the WB and metering mode was different. I had changed them hoping to get more consistent results but it didn't work. In the previous post Dave said that it appeared as if the muted filter was applied. It WAS. When I changed it... the exposure was dead on. Thanks for your interest in my post.

Now, I can't wait to see what other cool things I can do with the K-5!
11-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rene`

Also don't overlook if you are not happy with the K-5's rendering you can create a (or many) custom setting(s) to suit your style. I am always surprised how many people totally ignore this feature.

On the four way controller toggle press the rightmost button, the one with the hexagon on it, twice. This will get you into custom settings. You have a whole row of presets to choose from. Pick any of them and press the down button (with the flash sign). Now you can make fine adjustments to you liking. Fine tune one or all to suit a particular shooting condition for easy recall when conditions change. Through experimentation I am sure you will come up with a tweak to make you happy.

Greetings
11-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion. I am still learning the K-5. I need all the help that I can get.