Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This forum is a better resource than any book.
Amen.

01-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #17

K5 Ebook

Here is the link to the Ebook on the Pentax K5 it costs about $15 K-5 ebook, available for all media, including iPhones, ipads, and tablets. - AlettA Photographic
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Anyone buy this book yet? I'm interested, but not ready to take the plunge. I would really like to see at least a mini book review.
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Anyone buy this book yet? I'm interested, but not ready to take the plunge. I would really like to see at least a mini book review.
I bought it some time ago and find it to be far more easy to read than the manual. Great amount of information and savvy insight. I have it on my android tablet and peruse it frequently.

01-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Hi, I had the K-x book from Yvon which was quite good, but IMHO not better than the manual. What I did with the K-5 is:

Putting the Pentax manual as PDF on my notebook

Printed the Pentax manual on A5 pages as a book double sided.

Purchased a good general dslr book - whatever people may say, Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Sony are not that much different.

IMHO, the Pentax manual is superb and worth being printed in booksize ...
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eriol Quote
Putting the Pentax manual as PDF on my notebook
I already put the K-5 manual on my iPad. The problem is the official manual is long on describing how to do "this", but not why or what the results will be for each iteration or feature. That's what I'm really missing and why I'm looking for a decent book. An e-book would be ideal, but is not absolutely required.
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I would suggest check out Yvon Borque's book on the K5. It is a very thorough manual easy to follow and is available electronically, if desired.

Pentax DSLRs e-books
Yes, I agree!

01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you read the Magic Lantern book on the K-7, most of that understanding will also apply to the K-5 as the body and controls are basically the same, and all the basic ideas are the same. But obviously there are new features/menu options and expanded performance in several areas. (And it actually did seem to me that maybe the K-7 ML book was rushed or the author was burning out on doing them -- the K10D ML by the same author was better written and more detailed. On some features the K-7 ML wasn't any better at explaining than the manual.)

This forum is a better resource than any book.
Which begs the question: if they are so similar, why hasn't Magic Lantern made the minor corrections and issued a book for the K-5? Perhaps selling books for Pentax isn't a money making proposition like it is for Nikon or Canon.
01-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Which begs the question: if they are so similar, why hasn't Magic Lantern made the minor corrections and issued a book for the K-5? Perhaps selling books for Pentax isn't a money making proposition like it is for Nikon or Canon.
Certainly they will sell less, or thought so at the time that it came out. I don't know who really "owns" them -- if it is the author (at least partially) they probably want to pay the same guy to do a fast & cheap update rather than have someone else re-write the whole thing from scratch. The author of the K-7 & K10D ML books (maybe others) has posted on the this forum before -- Peter K Burian. You can always ask him. I did think the K-7 book seemed rushed to me -- it didn't seem to have the same in-depth explanations or underlying "enthusiasm" as the K10D book by the same author. Possibly he was getting burned out on writing manuals -- or he was literally rushed by the publisher.
01-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Certainly they will sell less, or thought so at the time that it came out. I don't know who really "owns" them -- if it is the author (at least partially) they probably want to pay the same guy to do a fast & cheap update rather than have someone else re-write the whole thing from scratch. The author of the K-7 & K10D ML books (maybe others) has posted on the this forum before -- Peter K Burian. You can always ask him. I did think the K-7 book seemed rushed to me -- it didn't seem to have the same in-depth explanations or underlying "enthusiasm" as the K10D book by the same author. Possibly he was getting burned out on writing manuals -- or he was literally rushed by the publisher.
Too bad he doesn't do one on his own then and publish it. Although the K-5 manual isn't bad, it could be a lot better, especially for people new to DSLRs. A book with pictures and explanations on how they were taken would be great too, again as a learning aid to a newbie.
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #26

Hi

Hi there

Thought id better introduce myself to you all. Im from Kent UK,have a equestrian farm where i keep my horses and dogs that i show and breed. At christmas my husband bought me the Pentax K-5 with a selection of lenses and a macro ring flash after me saying id love to learn to do macro photography. Thing isim finding the camera really hard. Im just not used to this camera at all. Sadly there are no books to help me along the way. Im not liking the manual at all. It really dont explain things well or even show detailed photos of how to use the functions. So im here to ask questions and learn.
So if you think there anything to watch or look at that will benefit me then please point me in the right direction
04-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is funny.

I took that little video a few months back!
04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #28

Hahahahaha very good
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tina4niko Quote
Hi there

Thought id better introduce myself to you all. Im from Kent UK,have a equestrian farm where i keep my horses and dogs that i show and breed. At christmas my husband bought me the Pentax K-5 with a selection of lenses and a macro ring flash after me saying id love to learn to do macro photography. Thing isim finding the camera really hard. Im just not used to this camera at all. Sadly there are no books to help me along the way. Im not liking the manual at all. It really dont explain things well or even show detailed photos of how to use the functions. So im here to ask questions and learn.
So if you think there anything to watch or look at that will benefit me then please point me in the right direction
go for k5 book from Yvon. it is like manual but in human readible format...